generator or no generator ?

larrykobgmd

Reaction score
will be receiving my second grady in two weeks @ 2007 305 express, moving up from a 1998 gulfstream. I did not get a generator because after talking with friends who had nothing but trouble with them. So I will ask all of you as well, what do you think, GENERATOR OR NO GENERATOR that is the question ? :?:

ocdansar

Reaction score
we use the genny in our 33 abut 70 hrs a year, it's a very nice option. my boat is an 01 and I replaced the generator jan of 08 due to rust issues, I replaced it with the exact same one except it has a sound shield and so far no signs of rust.

georgemjr

Reaction score
Generator. I am purchasing a Honda portable so that I have the option of power during overnights. If I could have a built in, I would. You'll be under warranty so no worries at first. I don't think they are anymore worrisome than most things mechanical.

Gman25

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I say get the Gen. I think most people run into problems because they done use them enough. It MUST be exercised at least every week for an hour under a load. I am a firm believer the more an engine is used, the less problems you are likely to have.

2005 300 Marlin w/F250's

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The new FP diesel gensets are very popular and hold up better then the gas gennys which GW previously used. They are also in a protective capsule. I love mine.

Tuna Man

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I think I may be the 'exeption to the rule' here. When I looked at used late model Marlins a little over a year ago I noticed the neagtives outweighed the positives - for MY needs.

The pro's: can use air conditioner anywhere anytime, same for microwave and water heater. Also better resale value.

The con's: no need to run a/c most of the time up here in the northeast when away from dockside power, water heater stays warm for many hours -just warm it up at the dock ahead of time, add roughly $5000 to a used boat for a diesel generator, difficult to work on, one more thing to winterize and maintain, should run it once a week - can't always get to the boat every week, problem if it needs to be replaced or major overhaul. Boat is approximately 400 lbs heavier all the time (guessing here) due to weight of generator, diesel fuel, additional fuel lines, electrical, etc. I am not a big fan of diesel smell and soot which I assume there is some occasionally based on the vents on the sides of the larger Grady's I have seen up close.

Again, my needs are not typical compared to most on this site. For me it made more sense to get a Honda EU2000 and use it on those three to five overnight trips a season. Cost is about $1000 and can be easily put on the boat when needed.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
GENERATOR.

We have an Islander. As nice as the Sailfish is, I would never consider "moving up" to one because NO GENERATOR.

We use a Honda EU2000 when necessary, but it certainly doesn't have the convenience of an installed generator.

We would love to have a Marlin, but would consider a Chesapeake, due to the generator option.

GENERATOR.

P.S. As noted above, the FP diesel unit is a completely different animal than the original gas generators. I have a friend with an enclosed FP in his sailboat and he has hundreds of hours on it.

Gary M

Reaction score
Bought our 2001 Marlin in 2006. 5kw gas genset had 19 hours on it. Ran fine but soon needed a new water pump. Since then I run it 2-3 hours a month, under load, have it serviced, etc. Still runs great and has minimal rust.

Having said all of that, if it ever dies, I'll probably yank it out, leave the hoses & wiring and not replace it. Even in Florida and the Bahamas we rarely ever "use" it for power............

el jefe

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Having a generator adds a whole new dimension to the boating experience. In summer, iat least here in Florida, t is nice being able to cool off. It eliminates the worry about battery charge when using equipment. I like it.

Southern Hunter

Reaction score
el jefe,

I completely agree, down here in the Northern GOM it is awesome to be able to do offshore overnighters and still get a great nights sleep in a 65 degree cabin while watching a movie, it changes the whole boating experience! We do this on about 80% of our trips, and I think i would have a tough time going back to a center console and sleeping under the stars on a beanbag....

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Had a generator in all my big boats(except the Bimini) and really used them and loved them. I had Kohler gas and on the 330 and 336 i had/have the FP and i'm very happy with them, i like the idea been enclosed in a capsule. On the bimini i did the portable generator think a couple of times and it was PITA for me, so i had a 2500 watt inverter installed(not the greatest decision either). I like to utilize all the lights available to me on the boat while night fishing and planning on adding more on this boat, so having a gen is a big plus.

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Also a big plus on the 330 and now on the 336 is i don't have to bring any ice in the boat cause i have the refrigerator/freezer plates in my fishbox.