Generator ?

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I am amazed how larger GWs have generator issues ranging from costly repairs to replacement. question for those with experience across inboard and outboard boats, are these issue inherent with having an onboard generator on a boat or does it have something to do with the GW design, placement or make of generator? Seeing all these issues pop up make me appreciate my very dependable portable Honda generator! Thanks for any insights

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
My Fischer Panda has been great. With regular oil changes and regular use my one cylinder diesel made in Germany is extremely reliable. Diesels need to be run, are more efficient, and much safer in a closed machinery space. Not sure why many seem to have problems, maybe we don't hear about the ones like mine.

Reactions: Legend

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Lord, I mentioned the idea of a portable generator once.... you'd have thought I shot someone's dog. If I ever get one, I will simply never tell anyone... paint it the same color as the deck so it does not show up in pictures, stuff it in an ice chest maybe.. lol

R

Reactions: teaklejr and Legend

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Honda are great for our size boats - keeps my batteries charged,+ frig, hot water and TV running. it is also pretty quiet and can be run on an as need basis.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
If an over-the-hill drummer may express an opinion better suited to a tech, my guess is that many of the Fisher-Panda related problems are related to long periods of inactivity.

My FP tech says that at least here in Florida they thrive on use. He tells me most of his service calls are related to issues caused by lack of run time. Many people I know here with Gradys (and other boats, probably) don't think about using their generators as often as they need to be. My Yamahas have 195-odd hrs on them and my Fisher Panda has a little over 80. I need to step up my game and run it almost as much as the engines. That, my diesel tech is an important key to long life along with oil changes, etc.

HMBJack

Reaction score
Like anything, you read about when things go wrong and not so much when things work well.

My FP generator runs like a top but I USE the thing alot.

I would be very reluctant to using a gas generator due to the oder-less exhaust gases which sink to the lowest point on a point (in the cabin). More than a few people have died from this. I think this is why diesel is an excellent choice for gensets (you can smell the exhaust if leaking inside the hull).

Fishtales

Reaction score
I agree with the non-use. I have one (would never have bought it, it was in the boat when new) and really don't need it. Shore power and when running hardly ever need AC. I think they are a waste in anything but the bigger GWs and even then only if mooring or a lot of over night use.

seasick

Reaction score
Yes the gen sets like to be run and like to be run at a load, preferably about half of its capacity.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
And do you know how hard that is aboard Grady's? When I try to get mine up to a consistent 16 Amps or so I run into brick walls.

1.) The A/C? Sure, that's 7.5 Amps or so but it kicks off when cabin temp is reached unless you cycle it down to an unrealistic set point where it constantly runs and that's probably not good.

2.) Battery Charger? That's about 6 amps..Until the batteries are charged. Then it drops to below 1 amp to a trickle charge setting.

We're at 8 amps so far.

3.) Water Heater; A great source for amps, (12.5) That is, until the water heats up....

4.) Microwave: Approx 8 amps. Works great until it automatically shuts itself down after 6-7 minutes so it won't overheat.

5.) Electric Stove: 10 amps until the fabric above it got so hot I was afraid the Marlin would catch fire. Nix the stove....

6.) Chill Plates; Whatever they are..I don't have them so it doesn't matter in my case.

I was plugging in fans, de-humidifiers, you name it, but I couldn't get a consistent 16 amps. I now just run the darn thing; When I can load it up some, I do, but these Gradys are not set up to properly load these generators.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Agree, but they are set up for the owner to pay for them... :)

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Very true, and the price is, well, significant. That said, we want to anchor more often, so hopefully it becomes worth it.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I guess, but to be honest a cooler with drinks and cold sandwiches is all we really need.

Reactions: ScottyCee

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I remember the first GW I bought was a 1985 Seafarer. The model had a futuristic feature - a gunnel mounted water faucet. The fresh water pump was burned out on day of delivery and I recall the dealer saying. Boats need to be kept simple, the more of this fancy stuff, the more things to repair. A very wise man! Can't recall the last time my cooler broke :cool: i