Getting a new Bimini top & curtains... Advice?

timo14

Reaction score
I'm finally breaking down and having a new soft-top & curtains made. I've recieved permission from the wife.

I am going to have it made pretty much the way it was, but with one modification. My old front curtain was sewn to the top... i hated it. The new one will zip on to the top & snap to the windshield. I might also have them price some sort of screen in the door in the rear curtain.

I'm going to have Sunbrella fabric for the top. I have a 2nd large bimini that covers the deck... I'd like them to match. The curtains are going to be "sheet" Eisenglass at the front curtain and "roll" for the rest. Typically,
I use the bimini for sun protection a lot. I use the front curtain alot in the winter to keep the wind off my face. Sometimes if it's really cold and windy, I'll put up the full enclosure. Other than that, the only time i put up the whole enclosure is if i get caught in a rain-storm.

Other than the separate front curtain, anyone have any advice as to other modifications? I'm sure there has been some changes in tops in the last 23 years.

Tim

JeffN

Reaction score
I live further North and leave my enclosure up almost all the time. I just roll up the center of the rear curtain usually. What I did do years ago when I had my first new enclosure made was to put "smiles" in my side curtains. I used to have to remove them for air, now I just unzip the smiles and roll up the palstic. Works great.

timo14

Reaction score
JeffN said:
What I did do years ago when I had my first new enclosure made was to put "smiles" in my side curtains. I used to have to remove them for air, now I just unzip the smiles and roll up the palstic. Works great.

Circulation is the main reason i dont use my curtains that much. I like the smiles in theory, but i'm having trouble picturing what you mean. Could you post a photo?

Also, if anyone has any ideas on how to install any extra framing to get rid of the rear bimini hold-down straps, I'd appreciate it.

sfc2113

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
timo14 said:
I'm finally breaking down and having a new soft-top & curtains made. I've recieved permission from the wife.

I am going to have it made pretty much the way it was, but with one modification. My old front curtain was sewn to the top... i hated it. The new one will zip on to the top & snap to the windshield. I might also have them price some sort of screen in the door in the rear curtain.

I'm going to have Sunbrella fabric for the top. I have a 2nd large bimini that covers the deck... I'd like them to match. The curtains are going to be "sheet" Eisenglass at the front curtain and "roll" for the rest. Typically,
I use the bimini for sun protection a lot. I use the front curtain alot in the winter to keep the wind off my face. Sometimes if it's really cold and windy, I'll put up the full enclosure. Other than that, the only time i put up the whole enclosure is if i get caught in a rain-storm.

Other than the separate front curtain, anyone have any advice as to other modifications? I'm sure there has been some changes in tops in the last 23 years.

Tim

you must not be going through any swells, I am alway getting wet from spray and keep the enclosure up most of the time. Anytime the chop is 1.5 ft or more I get wet. Must be me....

JeffN

Reaction score
I'm not sure what Grady does presently with their side curtains but mine (way back when) had solid side curtains. My "smiles" are simply U shaped zippered openings in the side curtains. Just open the zippers and roll the side curtain material up to the top and fasten it up with the straps. Plenty of ventilation without having to take my side curtains off. But like I say I live a bit further North and I like to be warm.

cdwood

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Yo timo, got the same plan in place for myself with the same concerns for ventilation. I have been talking to a guy who comes very highly reccommended up my way. Maybe if we got together we could get a deal. He's in Waretown, you interested? That could be a hike for you but if the price is right who knows.

Offshore24NJ

Reaction score
While everyones on the subject I am in central jersey and just got an offshore 24 the soft top was a mess, looked into getting a hard top with a full enclosure but it seemed to be just too expensive. Does anyone know a good canvas guy I was looking at getting full enclosure.

LarryO

Reaction score
sfc2113 said:
timo14 said:

Tim

you must not be going through any swells, I am alway getting wet from spray and keep the enclosure up most of the time. Anytime the chop is 1.5 ft or more I get wet. Must be me....

It's not you , it's that brutal pre Sea V bow we have . Larry

seasick

Reaction score
timo14 said:
JeffN said:
What I did do years ago when I had my first new enclosure made was to put "smiles" in my side curtains. I used to have to remove them for air, now I just unzip the smiles and roll up the palstic. Works great.

Circulation is the main reason i dont use my curtains that much. I like the smiles in theory, but i'm having trouble picturing what you mean. Could you post a photo?

Also, if anyone has any ideas on how to install any extra framing to get rid of the rear bimini hold-down straps, I'd appreciate it.

You can install struts from the helm to the last bow of the bimini instead of the straps. You would use standard off the shelf fittings, brackets and tubing. Since the rearward (last) bow usually pivots, the strut has to attach to it. The higher up the bow arm the strut is, the more stable it will be. That said, the new struts will be pretty much in the same spot as the straps were. The front straps are more chalanging to replace with struts.

I put my bimini down often, especially when there is a high wind forecast, so for me the straps are better but at times, when I have to go forward, I wish I had something sturdier to hold on to ( Adventure 208)

kevine

Reaction score
Hey .. I read this string from the fall and I am wondering how it went for you guys. I got a 1980 offshorre 24 over the winter and I will have to put canvas on it. Do you have any pictures ? How much did you pay? Do they need the boat or could I just go pick it up and put it on myself? Thanks

timo14

Reaction score
kevine said:
Hey .. I read this string from the fall and I am wondering how it went for you guys. I got a 1980 offshorre 24 over the winter and I will have to put canvas on it. Do you have any pictures ? How much did you pay? Do they need the boat or could I just go pick it up and put it on myself? Thanks

Didn't work out too well for me... Wife convinced me that we should buy a new house over the winter. So, until i sell my old house, anything for the boat is on the back burner.

Anyone want to buy a house? Great Grady discount. Anyone?