Getting the Lead out- Davis Fish Seeker?

jehines3

Reaction score
Has anyone used the Davis Fish Seeker for trolling? My wife has forever been against the sheer volume of lead kept on the boat with two young children (4 months and 2.5yrs). Has anyone used this contraption and does it work? Is it a fair replacement for the assortment of cigar weights I'm carrying to troll for striper and Blues in the Chesapeake Bay?

I'm trolling 330GTI's and 330's on 6'6" rods with 50lb power pro, and 10' 35lb mono leaders. Lee Sr's, with 3 hung per side. No down riggers. Usually an 8 spread total, no more than 10.

Just curious If I should try these or not. They look sort of cheap, but to pull the lead and keep the admiral happy, I'm game..

http://www.davisnet.com/marine/products ... ?grp=m15-4

Looking for tips on this one as they sure are cheap enough. jh

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Do not know if they work, but I've seen them on ebay for less. They usually come up if you search outriggers or planers.

Amigo

Reaction score
A similar diving device is used on the Great Lakes all the time. The product is called Dipsey Diver made by www.luhrjensen.com.

For the Dipsey Diver I would guess 3 MPH would be top speed. Every walleye boat on Lake Erie would have a few and every salmon boat on the other Great Lakes would have the largest size.

Besides diving they will also plane away from the boat. They are adjustable for this.

I use them on 30 lb. wire rods and also with braided line. I have hit bottom in 80 - 90 feet of water with the magnum size in Lake Michigan.