Good afternoon guys got a question (93 explorer)

Arczr2

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
I am a new member and this is my first post! Glad to be here! I have a 93 explorer with all original scupper drains and fish box drains etc. Can someone point me in the right direction as to how many I need to order and what size/kind it is for a 93 GW Explorer, I would like to re do all of them to be safe. Attached is a picture of her and I appreciate any helpful links from all the reading I have been doing I hear it is going to be a real PITA! I keep the boat and fish the boat out of Venice la primarily for tuna and numerous bottom dwellers around the rigs south of Venice. I tried uploading a picture of my boat but says file is too large :(

Arczr2

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
Picture of one of our trips last summer on the "Pipedream"

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1499695287482.jpg
    FB_IMG_1499695287482.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 28

Oceanbean

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I am a new member and this is my first post! Glad to be here! I have a 93 explorer with all original scupper drains and fish box drains etc. Can someone point me in the right direction as to how many I need to order and what size/kind it is for a 93 GW Explorer, I would like to re do all of them to be safe. Attached is a picture of her and I appreciate any helpful links from all the reading I have been doing I hear it is going to be a real PITA! I keep the boat and fish the boat out of Venice la primarily for tuna and numerous bottom dwellers around the rigs south of Venice. I tried uploading a picture of my boat but says file is too large :(

Hi,
I had a 93 Explorer before my current Grady. I changed all the thru hulls and scuppers to Stainless.

Here is info from my old post on this subject: It was a several years ago. Prices and sources may have changed.

Scuppers are Attwood SKU ATT-66553-3
Stainless Scupper Value, Barbed, 1-1/2" hose ID. I got them from www.firstchoicemarine.com. $41.30 each.
Deck drains were harder to find. But the ones I found are perfect.
Southco, INC. www.southco.com
Part number: M7-16-9005306 Drain grate with barb adapter combination, 1-1/2" SS. Price $62.58 each.
The deck drains fit perfect in the recess. A real upgrade over the plastic.

Oceanbean
2004 GW 282 F225
before this I had a 1993 Explorer with VP I/O

suzukidave

Reaction score
grady has an owners manual which can be downloaded as a pdf from their website. in those days it was just a bunch of photocopied pages. it included a diagram of your boat that lists all the thru-hull fittings. you can order all those parts or newer equivalents from a grady dealer.

or just remove stuff, measure it, post pics as needed here, and replace it all online or at a marine shop for significantly less in the same material, or considerably more using newer stainless steel fittings. you would do well to check on the pros and cons of using stainless through hulls at locations that sit at or below the water line.

for the flanged brass drain through hulls in the trabsin you can replace those by cutting them into pieces with a hacksaw and prying out but you need a drain flange tool to install replacements that is made by seadog or moeller for about $30 online if you hunt. if you have two different sized drain holes you will need two different tools.

you will want to use 4200 3m or similar caulking for all of it. do not use 5200 or it will be hard to remove them in future.

you may want to treat all the exposed holes in your transom with a penetrating epoxy to seal them to prevent rot before you replace the fitting. i certainly would. some folks will drill the holes out, fill the large hole entirely with epoxy and then drill new holes to the original size to ensure a donut of epoxy and no water ingress.

if your model has floor drains those can be trickier to source other than from grady. there are aftermarket sources but you will need to figure out what you are dealing with by posting photos here.

Arczr2

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
I guess my real question is the terminology of the words ha. These on the outside are considered the stainless scupper valves or drain grates?

Attachments

• Drains.PNG
    Drains.PNG
    70.9 KB · Views: 24

Arczr2

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
Here is a picture of her just need to get all the drains redone have already installed new fuel tanks etc too much to list ha.

Attachments

• Grady.PNG
    Grady.PNG
    2.2 MB · Views: 30

Arczr2

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
Yea this may be a tad bit more than I can handle on my own and Im pretty handy, I know how difficult most of the access is on theis boat. Im debating on biting the bullet and just taking it to a shop and having it done but I got a feeling it wont be cheap.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
The pictures of the things you are wondering about (terminology)... for one, they are not stainless. They are plastic. Those are simply called "thru-hulls". Scuppers are the round things, just above the waterline, on your transom - where any water that collects on deck drains out. Drain grates... those would be what you see in the cockpit floor drains to catch large items.

Google will help you with terminology.

Are the current thru-hulls bad?

Arczr2

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
Current thru hills are beginning to show some wear but not leaking. I primarily fish 50 to 75 miles offshore I just feel with the boat being a 93 they probably should be upgraded. Just not sure if I can personally take on the task seems like a big job from the searches I've read and alot of cussing. I've done enough of that cussing installing new tanks and removing old ones on my own and asking myself why in the heck would Grady install this like this new etc etc. You guys know how it goes with these older hulls and newer power. Its constant maintenance/upgrades

chrisk

Reaction score
I just did this on my '92 Explorer. Don't recall for sure but the large drains and scuppers were 1 1/2" and the small drains were 1" or 1 1/8".
I got all my stuff from GEM Products in Florida. Good quality, good prices and fast service. Some of the hoses have the size printed on them,
some of them I had to measure. Some are a PITA to get to but it can be done.