GPS Recommendation

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity why are you not considering a fixed mount unit versus a handheld. We have handheld as a backup.

GSnyder

Reaction score
That is a great question I've been going back and forth on.
I'm thinking portability. I could use it in my car, hiking, etc. I also have a small boat I use on Cape Cod. I've never used one there - know the areas I go very well - but think it would be a good idea to have one just in case.
I don't know the Clearwater area at all and concerned about running aground especially.
With the smaller unit I am concerned about the screen size and viewing in sunlight. There are probably other things I'm not aware of.

ksgoldman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Freedom 275
Buy a fixed mount - you won't regret it. I'd suggest the largest unit that you have budget for that will fit on or in your helm. Garmin 400 series and 500 series are pretty reasonable, easy to use, and self contained (antenna is built into the unit). If you want to use with a transducer, they have some great package deals. There are other manufacturers who also make good units - I'm just partial to Garmin.

At 51 years old, I'm moving up from a 5" screen to a 12" screen (new boat). The one thing I learned with the 5" screen was that it was difficult to read. Considering that I had been out of owning a boat for 20 years (pre GPS days), I really loved the Garmin 545S that I had. I just realize that rather than challenge my eyesight that I'd make life much easier with a bigger screen.

Good luck!

georgemjr

Reaction score
The hand held is great, I used it on my sailboat, but not nearly as good as a fixed mount. It is useless for the car, as the upgrade to get road maps is more money than buying a Nuvi for $120. I never tried it hiking, but again, I think you have to buy different software. You are better off with a fixed mount for the boat and a Nuvi for the car. Drop bread crumbs for the hike.