GPS, Sonar Problem

VinMan

Reaction score
I finally had the electronics installed and took the boat out. The radio works great as does the Garmin 520s GPS unit. The only problem is I keep getting a NO TRANSDUCER/SONAR OFF message when trying to get depth info. The main menu wont even give me the SONAR option like the menu in the book. I hope it's something simple. I don't want to have the livewell removed again to rewire the transducer. I'm calling Garmin tech support today. Hopefully, it's something simple that I did, or didn't do... Any thoughts?

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
The most obvious thing is to make sure the lead from the transducer is connected to the display unit.

choogenboom

Reaction score
I get the same message occasionally on my Garmin 3010C/GDS20 sounder with transom mount transducer. It seems to happen right after my dive service cleans the hull, so I am guessing the diver is stressing the wiring which has a break in it. Let me know what you hear back from Garmin on possible causes. I recently updated all the firmware and the problem only started happening after I did that - but thats also when my dive service started so can't isolate it to one or the other.

Chris

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
See if you can borrow another tranducer for a few days; (any type) that will work with your sounder, and put it in a ziplok bag filled with water. Place the bag in the bilge, where it has a clear view thru the hull, and see if you still get the error. That will at least tell you whether it's a sounder-box problem, or transducer/wiring. Divide and conquer!

VinMan

Reaction score
I went through the troubleshooting with Garmin. They were helpful. It is plugged in correctly. Checked and rechecked. I have a new transducer coming. If I plug that in and get a Sonar option in the menu, the Garmin is good. If I plug in another transducer and still no Sonar option, the Garmin unit itself is bad. We don't think that is the case though, as the GPS worked fine out on the water. Coordinates, speed, etc is all fine. We'll see in a few days...

VinMan

Reaction score
Well, the new transducer came and it works great. After removing the livewell, I found that my highly recommended "professional" installer was a fool. Wires are torn and the transducer is epoxied to the hull at a 30 degree angle. A penny won't even lay on it without sliding off, it is so not level. He did not use the mounting sleeve provided and therefore, did not put it in the liquid needed.

I learned that even a highly recommended marine mechanic can be a crook. I got taken for a ride but I also learned that I should have done what I was considering all along - doing the job myself.

I'll be cutting the wires on that tranducer and mounting the new one myself. At least I won't scratch the crap out of my boat's interior fiberglass and I'll have a working depth finder when complete.

If anyone in the South Florida area wants to know the name of the criminal I hired, pm me before it's too late....

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Sorry you got taken for a ride...

If you can avoid cutting and soldering the transducer wire, I would use the old wire as a snake to pull the new wire through. Unless the connection is perfect, you will lose efficiency through the solder, which will affect the signal.

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Parthery is absolutely right.
1) DON'T cut your 'ducer wire.
2)tape the new to the old and pull it through.

VinMan

Reaction score
I used the old wire to pull the new wire but his wire was wrapped all around other rigging in the tube. I ended up re-fishing it anyway. The tube is only half full of rigging and wires. He should have had plenty of room. I think what happened was.....his fish wire got under the rigging and he pulled too hard. The first transducer wire was all cut up.

I installed the sleeve and ran the wire. I left the livewell out so the 5200 could set up for a day or two before I snap the new ducer in place, then I'll put it all back. How do I know if the joints on my seacocks are SS or the old ones? While the livewell is out, I'm cleaning and checking everything I see.

choogenboom

Reaction score
I had a "professional" mount a transducer on my 228G. The 228 has a couple of cable chase tubes, and in fact I had mounted the prior transducer and routed the cable through one of the tubes. All the guy had to do was use the old cable to pull the new one through. But this "pro" lazily draped the wire under the edge of the gunwall. The first time I took the boat out the wire was hanging down to the toe rail on the deck. Once every few years I let some "pro" work on my boat just to remind me why its worth it to spend my time doing it myself. Like most professions, maybe 1 in 10 pros are worth their salt.

Chris

(p.s. - take pictures of the prior work and save receipts for replacement transducer and if you paid the "pro" by credit card dispute the charge.)

VinMan

Reaction score
I just re-read your post Parthery. I never intended to solder the wires. I had to cut the wires to the old ducer because I can get it out. He used a two part epoxy that won't let go so its gonna live in my bilge for ever. I'm too chicken to get a hammer and knock it off. You can't see it, no one will ever know. It's stories and things like this that give a boat character... Thanks for all the advice folks.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Your boat is an '06...has the brass seacocks and ss fittings. Shouldn't be anything to worry about.

VinMan

Reaction score
Thanks. That's something I won't have to worry about. This experience has taught me that there are things I can do myself. I was a pretty good auto mechanic. I've replaced water pumps, radiators, brakes, etc. In my house, I have never hired anyone to seat a toilet or replacy a faucet and sink. I do it all myself. I'm a newbie with boats but I'm learning that they are like anything else, they have hoses, wires, pumps etc. Access is a little trickier on boats but I am having fun discovering how this thing is put together. I'm also very impressed so far...

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
With your DIY handman skills, I venture to say that you have more of the required skills to work or your boat than a LOT of those guys that are out there, working for the boatyards. A lot of yards have highschool kids or other unskilled laborers that they will tell to change the waterpumps on that boat, or drill a hole here, and install this transducer.

You never know what's being done to your boat, unless you are doing it yourself. You've got the right attitude, and you will know your boat, and it's systems, much better now that you are the one getting into it.

Good job!

JiminGA

Reaction score
One more suggestion - as you pull the new 'ducer wire through using the old wire, consider also pulling a nylon cord thru at the same time.

You just never know what other wire you'll be pulling through in the future and you'll have a pull cord already there to to the job with!

VinMan

Reaction score
Just a quick update... We went out fishing yesterday. Seas were two feet or less. My son and I slept on the boat the night before and then we picked up grandpa and went looking for a reef in 80 feet of water. The sonar worked great. We found the reef we were looking for and fished all morning.

Lesson learned...If you can do it yourself, do it. It may take longer but nobody is going to treat your boat the way you do....

Love this 228

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
DIY

I always ask my self the question when I get the so called "expert" involved: "Do I know more about this problem than the guy I'm asking to fix it?".

If the answer is "YES" I know I'm not likley to satisfied - and have never been.

On a previous boat my diesel guy was like a consulting surgeon. I did the leg work to research the problem - he did the heavy work. Great relationship.

On the other hand I've had guys come out to look at a broken generator who knew less than I did but were willing to figure it out @ $100/hr.

Same with some electronics...

If you can DIY then you should. It will be done right, you will save some money and it will happen quicker. After all, that is what this site can help you with.