grab bag

fortkingauto

Reaction score
does anyone have a list on items for the grab bag? if I jump ship I want to know I have what is needed

Marty grady 272

Reaction score
Commonly called a ditch bag. I have the following items in mine. A water proof ditch bag that floats and has long adjustable straps, 2 inflatable life jackets, 2 type 1 life jackets, a hand held VHF radio that floats, flares -12 ga. shotgun type in a sealed plastic bag, EPIRB with tether ,a length of float-able rope, chocolate,2 quarts of water, knife-float-able, strobe lights,anything else that floats depending upon how far of shore that I am going. Please remember that every Grady will float even if filled with water or capsized. Staying with your boat will make it easier for others to find you in an emergency and let someone know where you are going and when you will be back ( a float plan) :hmm

alfa1023

Reaction score
Adding to that already listed, we also have in ours: a couple of baseball hats and a bottle of suntan lotion to minimize sunburn while floating/waiting for help; a couple of polished stainless steel "mirrors"; a large whistle, and a drybox that we always put our wallets and cell phones in when we leave the dock. We have a PLB that stays in the ditchbag and a separate EPIRB that is mounted near the helm.

Hopefully with the EPIRB and/or PLB and the floating/waterproof VHF, we would only be in the water for a few hours at the most.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I just assembled a new one.

Go the bag from here for less than $25. Pretty good deal.
http://www.cdnninvestments.com/orasmato.html

I have like items, signal kit (flares, shot gun signals, mirror, added a couple of old cds). ACR PLB, ACR Rapid Fix EPIRB, Standard Horizon handheld (water resistant, floats with GPS and MMNI capable). Suntan lotion, strobe light.

I need to build a food kit next. May get another of the bags for this purpose.

I plan to add a life raft before I splash it this year.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I just got a 2nd bag. It will have the food items and first aid kit. Can't beat it for $30.

Sea Shift

Reaction score
I thinking about placeing mine in a small cooler with a lached lid. Reason being it will float and preaty much self deploy in the event of a the worst case. If you remember the sportfishing boat that capsized in Baja last year? Part of the reason many of the guys suvived that did was because they found a cooler floating with the desbris. It happend to have water and gatoraid in it. So it provided floatation and water!