Grady 208 Adventure

AlK

Reaction score
I am considering purchasing a Grady 208 Adventure, but on a picture that I have of the boat with a 200hp Yamaha and with one person sitting at the steering wheel I noticed that the bottom edge of the starboard scupper is just touching the water and the one on the port side is approx. 1 inch above the water. I am not that familiar with the 208 Adventure but it seems to me like the boat is sitting a little low in the water. If a kicker is added to the port side and one more person, plus 50-60 lbs of cannon balls and other fishing gear, I would think that the scuppers would be totally submerged and possibly some water would leak in on the back.

Is it normal for the 208 Adventure to sit this low in the water?

seasick

Reaction score
AlK said:
I am considering purchasing a Grady 208 Adventure, but on a picture that I have of the boat with a 200hp Yamaha and with one person sitting at the steering wheel I noticed that the bottom edge of the starboard scupper is just touching the water and the one on the port side is approx. 1 inch above the water. I am not that familiar with the 208 Adventure but it seems to me like the boat is sitting a little low in the water. If a kicker is added to the port side and one more person, plus 50-60 lbs of cannon balls and other fishing gear, I would think that the scuppers would be totally submerged and possibly some water would leak in on the back.

Is it normal for the 208 Adventure to sit this low in the water?
I have a 150 on my 208 and the scuppers are above the water line. Note that with one person at the helm, the boat will lean to starboard.
The batteries are also on the starboard and are counterbalanced somewhat by the port oil tank, so the amount of oil makes a little difference.
The biggest factor though, is the fuel load. The boat sits lower with a full tank. Filling the 10 gal freah water tank, if equipped) also lowers the boat
The deck drains are a tad higher than the actual scuppers. Even if the scuppers were a little under water, I don't think water will backflow into the deck.
There are some 208s that have wet transom issues though. You should have the hull surveyed at a minumum to see what shape it's in

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Shouldn't be a problem. I run a kodiak livewell in front of the motor, it's 32 gallons. Let's see, 8lbs/gal, that's about 250lbs extra. Plus we've had four out fishing, it's just not an issue. If two of us stand in the rear corner netting or gaffing a fish, we have gotten wet feet before.

The 200 gives extra power, great for high-speed running and water sports. For ocean work I think it's overkill; we've been very satisfied with our 150. I wouldn't hesitate to take a used one with a 150 on it. If you find a low hour one with a 200, all the better.

They are great little boats, by the way. Check back here, lots of help available for rigging them with all the lates gear and doo-dads.

If you find a pre-2000 year model with an old carbed two-stroke, then deal with the thought you would repower. The 175 e-tec would be perfect for one. Lighter than the F150 and a bit more power. A HPDI-200 take-off would also make a good repower.

EDIT: BTW, welcome to the forum!!

Daman858

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have an '04 208 with the F200 and have no problems with the scuppers being submerged. I have a hardtop with the extra weight and even with two passengers sitting in the aft seats and gear stowed, there is no problem. Anyway, on the port side, if I remember correctly, the one scupper is the exit from the live well so no issue there anyway.

Its a great boat that I enjoy very much!

AlK

Reaction score
If I understand what all of you are saying is that on the Adventure 208 the scuppers are normally just above the waterline. From reading various post, it is my understanding that the scuppers can become problematic as they age and that they need to be replaced.

Th Marine makes 2 replacement scuppers, the ball type and the recessed flapper type.
Any thoughts on which one is better?

Does water that comes into the boat, be it rain or through the scuppers, also end up in the bilge?

seasick

Reaction score
AlK said:
If I understand what all of you are saying is that on the Adventure 208 the scuppers are normally just above the waterline. From reading various post, it is my understanding that the scuppers can become problematic as they age and that they need to be replaced.

Th Marine makes 2 replacement scuppers, the ball type and the recessed flapper type.

Does water that comes into the boat, be it rain or through the scuppers, also end up in the bilge?
I prefer the flap type. I am concerned that the ball types can get stuck with debris. My flappers get debris often but I just run the hose through to clean. The flappers are relatively easy to change and only cost a few dollars for the flaps.
Assuming that the scupper hoses are not leaking, the water will not go into the bilge, it will wet the deck and then hopefully drain back through the scuppers.

mhff34

Reaction score
I had a 208 never had water come in drains great. Only time I had water in the bilge is when I left the drain plug out,bilge worked well getting the water out. I had 6 adults on that boat on many occasions and once 8 not a problem with 200hp. Great boat handled some rough water.

seabum

Reaction score
I have a 1998 208 and have have 4 men fishing, gaffing 100 lb. tuna at the side of the boat never had any water. I have a 175 yam. and love this boat. Good luck on your dis.

hotajax

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
208?? Go For It!!

Great boat, even at 20 feet, it will take a pounding. Don't worry about getting your feet wet a little, the only time I get water in the scupper is when both Junior and I are standing on the same side of the boat netting a fish. (Two heavyweights) It's my first GW, and I am still on the honeymoon.

Reactions: Facially Endowed

hotajax

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Message for Seasick

Where do you get the flap type scuppers?? The only ones I was able to find were at West Marine, and I have to glue them on the the bronze through hull on the transom. Thanks.

seasick said:
AlK said:

I prefer the flap type. I am concerned that the ball types can get stuck with debris. My flappers get debris often but I just run the hose through to clean. The flappers are relatively easy to change and only cost a few dollars for the flaps.
Assuming that the scupper hoses are not leaking, the water will not go into the bilge, it will wet the deck and then hopefully drain back through the scuppers.