Grady 228 - Bow Ladder for Launch and Retrieve

2ndChance

Reaction score
Hello all,

Love my 228! That being said, I need some ideas for a ladder I can either hook to the bow rail or permanently attach to my trailer to help me get on and off when launching and retrieving. You guys know the drill, back it down, get on it (this is where the ladder comes in), start engine, tie off to dock; coming back, get boat onto trailer, get off the front (ladder again) winch on. I know I can have a guy custom weld something for the front of the trailer, but that would be expensive - also, I like the ability to take the bow ladder off and use while boating. What say you? And yes, I know it's easier with 2 guys - but I'm usually alone.

CJ7Rob

Reaction score
I do the same thing. Sounds nuts, but I use the spare tire as a step to get up on the bow of the boat. I even stand up on the top part of the trailer where that rubber cap is. But I agree, a set of steps on the trailer would be nice. On the way back in I have to lay flat and lean down over the bow to grab the winch hook and attach it. Then I start winching. Can be a PITA I know. Sometimes I leave it in gear with low rpms to keep the boat from rolling backwards off the trailer, so the boat stays further up on the trailer.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I do the monkey-climb thing, too... depending on which boat/trailer I'm climbing up on, I can also use the top of the trailer jack (non-swinging model... or swing the jack "up") and the actual winch, itself. Same thing with leaving it in gear, too. There's all sorts of "work arounds" - but actual steps would be nice!

I really don't think it would be hard to build something that is, at least, semi-permanent to the trailer - I think this would be the best solution in the long run. The problem with hanging a ladder is that they can actually be difficult/awkward to use, especially from the bow. Plus, then you have to store the ladder somewhere.

If you don't want to weld - which I don't think would be all that expensive (especially if you do the grunt work and cut the pieces ahead of time and then all he has to do is weld it up) - you can build your own setup and clamp (u-bolts, for example) it to the frame and winch stand. Just takes a little ingenuity, but it can absolutely be done. If you haven't already, take a look at, for example, the ShoreLand'r website and look at the pontoon trailers - they all have front steps on the trailer and it might give you some ideas.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
My biggest concern, when I have my boat winched tight to the post, is that the latch will slip, and the handle will take some part of my head off. My winch is one where you can slide the handle out of gear, and I try to always do that anytime my hand is not on it, like dealing with the safety chain. I would never put my foot on a winch that is under load.
I had steps on a catamaran trailer, and can't imagine that type boat without. Only put them on the side of the winch post away from the handle. Fair warning, at some point, you will bend over to do something, and stand up and crack your head on a step, so round off all corners, and pad if possible.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I’m not stepping on the handle - I’m stepping on the edge of the “spool”. Nothing to worry about. Even if the handle did let go, there’s no way it can hit me.

The pawl would have to break for the handle to let go - simply bumping the handle won’t knock the handle out of position - it’s under too much tension.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Never saw a good ladder for that application. Hope you find one. If you do, pls share the info.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I like the first link - the other ones are pretty short. Ask the company for measurements and then physically map it out on your trailer and see if it will work. Maybe even build a VERY basic mock-up out of 2x or even cardboard tubes or pvc. You don’t need to make it exact or even make the steps - this is just to give you a “visual” if it’s hard for you to mentally picture it.

Last edited:

2ndChance

Reaction score
that first one is pretty pricey. I think the d-link (3rd one) might work - need to get some measurements of distance from trailer to bow.