Grady 265 express holding tank issues

ENZOFORZA

Reaction score
Ive been enjoying the new to me 265 and love the boat. Toilet pump is stuck in the "up" position leading me to believe that the tank is full (raw water seacock is open and toilet was flushing fine). I was out far enough and tried to discharge, I heard macerator running and and assumed tank was emptied, now reads 1/4 ( i didnt check prior to attempting to discharge) but pump handle is still stuck in "up" position and will not budge no matter what the toilet "switch" is set to. Ive tried all positions of the discharge seacock as well as the intake seacock under the floor of the salon ( I know there are 2 one for intake and one for discharge) and no matter what it seems that the tank is full and I can get toilet pump to budge. Any ideas of whats up???

Salinity Now

Reaction score
You have the manual pump for bowl flushing right? I replaced my hand pump when I got mine, made a big difference in total performance of the flushing, you know there is a switch on top, just above the pumping handle, one side if for no water flushing, the other side is for water flushing (assuming seacock is open), i would check that out to start.

(I think my pump out macerator just went bad, i was able suck my tank out to about 1/2 full, but the vacuum wasnt strong enough for any more, now I have no motors and Im stuck with a 1/2 a tank of waste water!!)

ENZOFORZA

Reaction score
Yes I have the manual pump. The switch was working fine until the the tank filled. Now its stuck in up position and I cans seem do anything about it??

Salinity Now

Reaction score
Hmmmm, Im thinking maybe air lock? Do you have the ability to use a marina pump out or really vacu/suc machine? I used one at a local marina and was only able to get it about 50% empty, but its better than nothing.

ENZOFORZA

Reaction score
It appears after a lenthy investigation that it was the "joker valve". I have been told that if the seacocks are closed and the hand pump is repeatedly (something I know I did) operated it can somehow damage or flip the valve inside out. This in on a Jabsco toilet that I think many grady's have. so if anyone else gets a toilet that is VERY diffcult to flush ( lots of resistance on plunger handle) its most likely this valve. Jabsco part # is 29092-1000 ---ENZO

Enough Already

Reaction score
Good info. Thanks for sharing. Regarding the pump-out, you can clearly hear a different pump sound pitch (sloshing) when the tank is near empty. The gauge is prone to be way off if it is even working.