Grady 265 freshwater pump on the fritz?

ENZOFORZA

Reaction score
I have solved a few small issues with my 265. The last one to takle is the freshwater system. I have filled the water tank next to the livewell to the top. It was winterized at some point as pink antifreeze shot out as it was topped off. I turn on the switch at the helm to activate the fresh water sink/shower etc and nothing. I dont even hear a pump running or anything. I dont think that there are any valves to open except for the shower drain thru hull that works fine. Im assuming that the pump was left on dry and burnt up, or its not getting any power due to wire or fuse issue. Is this pump located behing the aft drawers inside the cabin, or under the small helm floor hatch or something? Has anyone replaced on before?? is it a major pain and should I just bring it to a dealer?

Enough Already

Reaction score
If it is just the pump, you can probably handle with basic skills. Step into your cabin, turn around and face the entry. Remove the 2 drawers at your left knee level and the remove the screws holding in the drawer unit. Pull out drawer unit, stick your head in the hole and look left (starboard). The pump will be mounted on the bulkhead wall. Assuming it is just a pump issue, you can pretty easily replace it. Before doing all of that, ensure you haven't popped the breaker at the helm switch (push the button right below the on/off switch). If that looks good, remove the pump (4 screws and 2 hose connections) and put a direct hot+ground wire to it and see if it operates. If the pump is dead, that is probably your only issue. Before fully mounting the new pump, connect the wires and ensure it works. Be ready to drill new pilot holes for mounting since it seems they change the mounting base configurations every few years. Get the right pump too, there are some that are made specifically for pressurizing water systems (auto shut-off) and different than a standard pump for other things like your baitwell.

max366

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
What a great response. That's the beauty of this web site... no nonsense, just people trying to help. Thanks

Salinity Now

Reaction score
Although it won't a actaully stop your pump from running, be sure to check the filter on the supply line of your pump. I recently had a freshwater issue, turns out the filter was completely clogged and the pump wouldn't come but for a second, then the pressure switch function would activate and turn it off.

It's a simple filter, one click left to remove, clean and reinstall.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Enough Already said:
If it is just the pump, you can probably handle with basic skills. Step into your cabin, turn around and face the entry. Remove the 2 drawers at your left knee level and the remove the screws holding in the drawer unit. Pull out drawer unit, stick your head in the hole and look left (starboard). The pump will be mounted on the bulkhead wall. Assuming it is just a pump issue, you can pretty easily replace it. Before doing all of that, ensure you haven't popped the breaker at the helm switch (push the button right below the on/off switch). If that looks good, remove the pump (4 screws and 2 hose connections) and put a direct hot+ground wire to it and see if it operates. If the pump is dead, that is probably your only issue. Before fully mounting the new pump, connect the wires and ensure it works. Be ready to drill new pilot holes for mounting since it seems they change the mounting base configurations every few years. Get the right pump too, there are some that are made specifically for pressurizing water systems (auto shut-off) and different than a standard pump for other things like your baitwell.

what he said. You also will gain access to the area where the pump is by removing/unscrewing the deck peice directly below your feet at the helm. This will give you better access to replace the pump. However This will also involve cutting and recaulking which is more work.

ENZOFORZA

Reaction score
Thaks for all of the help guys, great posts. Ok so now I know where the pump is, where is the filter located?? If the pump is dead does anyone know the make/model to replace? thank the lord for great grady. I bet Ive already saved like $2000 just reading this site!!

Grady_Crazy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I know mine is not a 265 it's just a 208 but I had the same issue with the freshwater shower. My problem was the connection on the circuit breaker in the panel was not making a good connection. Same symptoms. I just cleaned the contacts and squeezed the tab connector to make it tighter, all OK. Always check power and ground first.

ENZOFORZA

Reaction score
Are you taliking about the circuit breakers on the back side of the switches themselves or the fuse box. The fuse box in a grady 265 looks like a real pain to try and get to

Salinity Now

Reaction score
If you remove the 2 star-board drawers in the cabin (just beside the stairs inboard). Once you pull those out you'll see the pump and the filter is right there, the supply hose is on the port side of the pump (closest to the opening from the drawers you removed )

Grady_Crazy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
This thing.

85733483.jpg

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
the freshwater filter should be inline and connected to your pump. This is easily accessed by removing the cabin drawers. I drain my tank and clean my filter as part of spring cleaning everyyear. usually is pretty gunked up every spring. if this is the problem, you will hear the pump running but will have little flow/pressure. Pumps may vary from boat to boat. I think mine maybe a shurflo. not sure off the top of my head the gpm. pretty sure the fuse is on the panel under the dash.

ENZOFORZA

Reaction score
ok there is no power at the switch. I disconnected both wires and tested them with a test light. bottom wires that daisy chain to all switches seem to work fine as all other switches in that row work fine. The problem is with the orange/blue stripe wire that leads down to the pump. I tried testing it with a pos and then a neg terminals and no light so the circuit is not getting completed due to this wire for some reason. I have checked all the automotive style fuses and they are fine. There are other wires coming in from the star. side that run to the pump but they are tough to see where they go due to the holding tank. I think that a fuse is missing from the top left corner of the automotive style fuse block. I will replace it tommorow as it was 93 deg in boston today and it must have been about 120 in the cabin an I swear i came close to passing out after being down there for too long. My question is if i replace the missing fuse and nothing happens whats next????? Also does anyone know if the helm switches feed power or do they complete the ground? it seems that they complete or interrupt the ground depending on position but I dont know diddly about wiring.