Grady or Jupiter/Contender

tooth

Reaction score
I understand that this is a Grady website and most are going to advocate Grady's regardlessly. I have a 26 chase, great boat yet super wet and pounds in a rough sea! I am looking to move to either a 30 bimini or a 31 Contender/Jupiter, but I am not willing to move into another wet boat. My children/wife love the Grady, however, offshore trips are less than desirable. Grady has always situated the helm more towards the bow to open the starboard fishing room, but has this enhanced the problems I experience? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

okletsfish

Reaction score
I think you answered your own question! If you are going to use your boat for mostly offshore ventures then the Contender/Jupitor`s are going t be a better choice because of the deep vee.The Grady is more geared to the family type of use sort of all round type of boat.Having said that all are top notch boats,so it all depends on what you are to use em for. :wink:

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Being from Oz, and as all of the boats you mentioned have only just started to appear over here; I am not that familar with model names, so excuse my ignorance, but aren't they all Centre Consoles?
If that is so they are all going to soak the family as well as burn them to a crisp in extreme conditions.
I'm 55 and I outgrew C.C. 10 years ago.
Buy yourself a cabin boat and the family will love you for it...............
My Grady rides very well with careful use of the throttles and trim tabs as well as tacking to produce the smoothest ride.
3 or 4 deg. of extra deadrise helps but there is always a sea state that will catch you out and make the trip uncomfortable.
C.C.'s are great to fish out of .....once you're there.

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
My wife (of 40 years) is my main fishing partner, and she really loves to fish, but I seriously doubt that she would be going much if I had a center console. Actually we did have one for several years, but it was only for the bay, inlet, and used to drag it to Florida every year for a a while.

She loves the Grady's (me too), and this one is our 4th consecutive. Had other boats, including inboard Blackfin (GREAT head-sea boat), but the Grady was the best boat for our combined uses. Only you can decide, but if you buy the CC, you may just find that the family will be staying home.

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I had a 2006 bimini before the 330. When i was looking to buy a 30' c/c(i had a 30' twin diesel b-4 that), i went and i tried, 31 jupiter, 32 contender,31 and 34 fountain, 29 and 33 hydra sports, 29 and 33 triton. Most of the sea trails were late fall begining of winter. All boats were o.k with the exception of two brands(would not say which). Most of the boats were dry on a 3-4 foot close chop. The reason i went with the bimini was the way the boat drifted, corner seas, following seas and how steady was at anchor( i bottom fish a lot). She was not a speed demon but i really liked tha i could cruise at 30-35 mph at almost any seas. My family came with me on the boat, it was no issue as far as the cabin and no cabin. They like to sit up front while cruising. My wife and kids never liked the diesel smell. So what i say is, yes, i would recomend the bimini in a heart bit.

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I'm a Grady enthusiast through and through but a Grady vs a Contender,
Jupiter,Regulator? Really?
Put it this way, how many Grady's do you see on the SKA?
The Gradys definately add the touches to make it more family-friendly.
The C, J, R, are pure fishing machines.

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Well, the bimini and the canyon is not that family friendly, but a pure fishing machine. The reason you don't see them on SKA tourneys is because the lack of speed, give me any C,J,R on head and beam seas and i'll tell you if they compare or not.

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Ahh, I knew this would push a few buttons!
Being a beamier boat and having a less dramatic dead rise than the C,J,R, the Grady will definately have less roll but it will run slower.
Thats the trade-off.
More dead rise, 24 degree, and less beam= rolling boat

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
tooth said:
I understand that this is a Grady website and most are going to advocate Grady's regardlessly. I have a 26 chase, great boat yet super wet and pounds in a rough sea! I am looking to move to either a 30 bimini or a 31 Contender/Jupiter, but I am not willing to move into another wet boat. My children/wife love the Grady, however, offshore trips are less than desirable. Grady has always situated the helm more towards the bow to open the starboard fishing room, but has this enhanced the problems I experience? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

While I agree that there are better hard-core fishing machines, the o.p. sounds like he is buying a family boat; one that will be (hopefully) enjoyed by his wife and children. I still stand by my statement that a G/W cabin boat may be a better choice for his intended use.

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Absolutely agree. I think only the most biased of people would say Gradys are "the best". I think you're right in your assessment that for its ENTIRE intended purpose that a walk may be better than a CC.
The hulls are the exact same, walk vs CC but the walk offers more protection from the elements.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Since you're from Long Island, have you looked at express/walkarounds? CC are great for fishing but don't keep you isolated from the elements. You also forgot Yellowfin, I saw a 34? on a trailer the other day and it looked impressive, but it's not a "family" boat. How many kids do you see on the SKA tournaments?

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Everglades makes a CC w/ an enclosed helm but it's offensively expensive.
30' express would be a great compromise b/t the two.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
He has to test ride the boats in mind, in seas he's considering, may take some effort but will be well worth it and avoid being disappointment, why?

1. "Wet" is subjective.
2. This is a Grady site.

And speaking of Gradys, nobody mention the 30dc (bow rider for the member's benefit), why not? Unless he's only considering used. (Then can wait just one-two years, there will be ones for resale)

Tons of seating and full weather protection, yet full access to fish. Lower priced than cabin models, as a bonus.