Grady white 192

b-dog

Reaction score
Been thinking of repower my old 192 for a while now. Have any of you repowered and with what? What size? I have a 150 Yamaha 2 stroke now.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I had a 192 and repowered with a Yamaha 4 stroke F150. Loved it. You could put that 200 on it too!

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My 192 (actually a 190 as it was pre Sea-V2) had a 150 2 stroke. The F150 is lighter and makes a true 150 at the prop. I'd go that route. As SmokyMtnGrady opined, the I4 F200 is also an option.

Reactions: SmokyMtnGrady
Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
My 192 (actually a 190 as it was pre Sea-V2) had a 150 2 stroke. The F150 is lighter and makes a true 150 at the prop. I'd go that route. As SmokyMtnGrady opined, the I4 F200 is also an option.

I recently bought my first Grady White in October. A 1995 192 Tournament with an old 1995 Evinrude Ocean Pro 2 stroke 150hp. What a noisy smoker she was. The boat needed a lot of work. The price was right at $3000 with a trailer. At first I thought I had a leak in the gas tank because the engine burnt so much gas. I broke down on the water on my way to purchase a new engine a few weeks after I decided I really loved this little boat and the way it handled. I re powered with a 4 stroke Honda 150 and I'm very happy with it. I believe it weighed about 100 lbs more than the Evinrude.
The scupper on the starboard side sits in the water just a bit, because the battery is there also. My feet don't get wet and it doesn't appear to be an issue. I have not decided on moving the battery yet because I have the back to back lounge seat out getting upholstered, so the balance and weight is thrown off right now.
The 150 Honda was $16,000 with rigging, new wires and switches on the dash, from a small shop in Savannah Ga. called Adams Boat Shop.
Not many guys service Honda outboards in this area, which was a concern. It's not my first Honda and I've learned to do the servicing myself. It's true, new engine is like a new boat. Good Luck!

Thanks to you guys who offer so much information that has made my restoration so much easier.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I recently bought my first Grady White in October. A 1995 192 Tournament with an old 1995 Evinrude Ocean Pro 2 stroke 150hp. What a noisy smoker she was. The boat needed a lot of work. The price was right at $3000 with a trailer. At first I thought I had a leak in the gas tank because the engine burnt so much gas. I broke down on the water on my way to purchase a new engine a few weeks after I decided I really loved this little boat and the way it handled. I re powered with a 4 stroke Honda 150 and I'm very happy with it. I believe it weighed about 100 lbs more than the Evinrude.
The scupper on the starboard side sits in the water just a bit, because the battery is there also. My feet don't get wet and it doesn't appear to be an issue. I have not decided on moving the battery yet because I have the back to back lounge seat out getting upholstered, so the balance and weight is thrown off right now.
The 150 Honda was $16,000 with rigging, new wires and switches on the dash, from a small shop in Savannah Ga. called Adams Boat Shop.
Not many guys service Honda outboards in this area, which was a concern. It's not my first Honda and I've learned to do the servicing myself. It's true, new engine is like a new boat. Good Luck!

Thanks to you guys who offer so much information that has made my restoration so much easier.

My 192 was a 1998 and had a Johnson Ocean Runner on it. When I went to a 4 stroke fuel injected motor my fuel economy doubled. It went from something like 1.9 miles per gallon to over 4! Or was it 3 to 6,it's been 15 years since I did that repower. Either way, it doubled and having a motor that would not stall out after it got hot and started every time was amazing back then.

I have read a lot if great things about Mercury's 150 four stroke too. I prefer Yamaha. It's weird how Honda makes a solid motor but they just don't seem interested in expanding their market share. It's like making outboards for them is like a hobby or something. This is not a knock on the motor just my observation about Honda's passion to be in the Marine business.

Reactions: Long Island Painter

PS Guy

Reaction score
Two years ago I replaced the 150 Oceanpro on my 192 with a 150 Etec G1 as it was the lightestweight option.
Excellent motor. Gets up and goes fully loaded. Huge difference in gas consumption.
The newer 192 Freedom versions is more weight forward to balance the heavier 4 strokes.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Don't forget Suzuki.. You'll save a few thou$and over a yamaha...enough to pay for full digital controls on the DF150 or to get a DF175 for the price of a Yami 150.
If you really need to save, a DF140 will push that boat to the mid to hi 30s and get 4mpg. I had one on a V20 cuddy which is a very similar boat.

b-dog

Reaction score
I have a 24v trolling motor on the front and I put 2 batteries in the front console. This should help with the weight
What kind of speed are you guys getting with a new 150 hp. I can on get about 39mph with my old 2 stroke.

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
I have a 24v trolling motor on the front and I put 2 batteries in the front console. This should help with the weight
What kind of speed are you guys getting with a new 150 hp. I can on get about 39mph with my old 2 stroke.
I just got through my 10 hour break in period with the Honda 150 and was doing 36mph a few days ago the hardest I have pushed it, full throttle. Gauge said I would be burning around 12gal per hour. I have done 6 - 8 mph and gauge said I would burn around 1 gal per hour. I am no speed demon on the water, I think I was running about 22mph and burning 3-4 gal per hour most of the time.
I was so use to bringing a five gallon container of gas with me and dumping it in the tank, that now that I put a new gas gauge in the hole where the old ignition switch was and have replaced the fuel sending unit, I'm not sure the sending unit even works because the gauge really hasn't moved much. When the weather warms up some I need to really go for a nice ride to burn some fuel. Totally opposite of me staring at the gas gauge with the old 2 stroke Evinrude and watching the needle move. The numbers are all approximations. I'm just happy it starts, runs quiet and I'm not sucking in blue smoke. Having the confidence that you won't get stuck out there is a great feeling too.

b-dog

Reaction score
What are the advantages of digital controls?

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Digital is smooth! I love it. There are no cables to bind and get corroded. The throttle is fluid and seamless. Also, when cruising or trolling the RPM stays exactly where you set it with no throttle creep which often is lower RPM. It's cooler to when you brag about it to your friends who are using mechanical. It's also pricey. Tech costs money.

Reactions: Heyspike

PS Guy

Reaction score
The Etec G1 150 runs full speed about 43 MPH. Going to a a 200 would add about 5 MPH on your top end speed.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I just got through my 10 hour break in period with the Honda 150 and was doing 36mph a few days ago the hardest I have pushed it, full throttle. Gauge said I would be burning around 12gal per hour. I have done 6 - 8 mph and gauge said I would burn around 1 gal per hour. I am no speed demon on the water, I think I was running about 22mph and burning 3-4 gal per hour most of the time.

Every 192 I've been around, including the one I owned many years ago, would run 41-42 with a 150. If you are maxed out at 36, something's not right. What RPMs were you turning? What hole is the motor mounted in?

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Every 192 I've been around, including the one I owned many years ago, would run 41-42 with a 150. If you are maxed out at 36, something's not right. What RPMs were you turning? What hole is the motor mounted in?
I will second Brian's statement. With my 2 Stroke 150, it ran in the low 40s and with my 4 stroke 150, again , low 40s. Something is either off with the prop and or motor height.

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
I will second Brian's statement. With my 2 Stroke 150, it ran in the low 40s and with my 4 stroke 150, again , low 40s. Something is either off with the prop and or motor height.
Excellent Day today. I actually got the 1995, 192 with the new Honda 150hp up to 40mph. It was the end of a slack tide and what I needed to do was trim the engine up about 3/4 up. I was under the assumption the engine needed to be level or even lower in the water to plane out and pick up speed. I was wrong. The RPM was about 5,800 My engine is basically sitting on the transom with the bolts in the top holes and my prop is a Solas aluminum 3 Blade 14 1/2 X 19" . Does all this make sense?
My apologies to b-dog for Hijacking the thread.

Woofman

Reaction score
I just picked up a 192 Tournament last year. I was looking for a repowered one and sea trialed quite a few. All were repowered with Yamaha 150 4 strokes as you would assume. I really wanted the Yam but they did seem heavy with scuppers in the water and really plowed hard before planing. One did have the battery moved forward. I sea trialed one with and older Yam 2 stroke and immediately noticed the difference but didn't want the carbed smoky 2 stroke. I looked up the specs and the older yam was either just under or just over 400#. The Yam 4 stroke was almost 500#. I eventually found one with an e-tec 150. Like the ride much better and it is clean quiet and very efficient but I still second guess myself sometimes. Always thought my next boat would be a 4 stroke. Time will tell. It is a torquey beast loaded with kids while towing and jumps on plane much quicker, not sure if that's just weight, the 2 stroke power or a combination of both.
I did however sea trial a newer freedom with a 150 and you can tell they made changes.