Grady White 204C transom questions

Hal

Reaction score
I am new to the forum, but have been on the water (not often enough) on Cape Cod Bay since the early seventies.

I have been a sailboat and kayak guy for quite some time, but my wife doesn't feel comfortable sailing, and mentioned that a power boat with a small cabin would be better. Permission! I have narrowed my search to a Grady White that is outboard powered, and 20' or less, with a cuddy cabin.

I looked at a 1980 204C that appeared to be in decent used shape, although showing age. The bottom paint looked like several layers of blue, with a lot of flaking, and apparently painted over older flaked paint. Looked pretty rough textured!

The floor cover over the fuel tank felt pretty flexible as you stand on it. The rest of the floor felt solid.

The aluminum cap over the transom edge had a small section that appeared eroded away...very small, the size of a couple grains of rice.

As I tapped on the transom with my knuckle, it sounded similarly solid in most areas, maybe one area a little higher in tone.

I looked in the compartments on either side of the transom in the back of the boat. The ribs seemed to feel solid, no bending, but when I tapped on them, they had a very light sound to them, like they were cored with a very light material. To me, they did not sound like what plywood with fiberglass over it should sound like (I am a shop teacher..).

On the transom wall inside, I was able to press on the fiberglass and feel a little give inward, maybe a 1/16 at most. This was nearer to the top of the transom, maybe 8" from the top, in one area, not everywhere.

I don't mind fixing things that need some up-keep, but I don't want to do a transom and stringer replace project. I have a hard time completing such large jobs in a reasonable amount of time

The boat looks like just the size I would like. Is a 20' Grady a reasonable boat for trailing to my local boat launch 2 miles away each time I want to use it?

As far as the trailer, it is a single axle, no brakes! As I drive an older Chevy, trailer brakes would be nice..

Thanks for any insights you all may shed. Hal

Clockwork

Reaction score
with your criteria the 204, and 208 are your only options. i have a '90 204C and love it. the compartments will sound hollow because they're encased in foam or in the case of the back compartments nothing just thin fiberglass. its not really fiberglass over wood, its all fiberglass with wood framework: stringers and transom.

most transoms of that age will either have some water or rot at this point. the crappy aluminum cap on the transom is a weakpoint on these boats and invariably lets water in.

the bottom paint means it was probably moored. unfortunately like me, you'll have to repaint it every year or so. i had the same ugly multi toned blue on mine and just painted over it with black and it looks waaay better. the paint is expensive (~$250/gallon) but you might find some excess on craigslist. i gave it a light sanding and painted over it. not a very pleasant job as you will be covered in biocidical blue powder.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
If that aluminum cap is corroded, you almost certainly will have a rotted transom and maybe stingers as well. A soft floor is another sign of rot.

That is all very typical for a boat of that age that has been stored in the water. My 204C needed a transom after 11 years.

I would stay away from that boat unless you are interested in a major restoration project.

You can pull a 20' Grady with a full sized 1/2 ton truck easily. But you should have brakes on the trailer or it will push you all over the road.