Grady White 282 Shorepower

christo15

Reaction score
I just purchased a 2003 282 Sailfish and am picking it up in a few days. My big question is how shorepower works? I had a 232 Gulfstream before this and have no prior experience. This boat does have a microwave and refrigerator. Can I run these components without shorepower or no? I look forward to any and all responses. Thanks!

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Hello, and congratulations on the 282.

Refrigerator should run on either DC only, or AC/DC, as available.

Microwave is AC only, so you need to be on shore power, or have an inverter installed. (I did that and can run the microwave while underway).

Brian

Hookster57

Reaction score
Or you could buy a portable generator to power AC stuff while underway and save your batteries. I got the Honda EU 2000i

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Hookster57 said:
Or you could buy a portable generator to power AC stuff while underway and save your batteries. I got the Honda EU 2000i

I also have an EU2000i and have used it to power up the boat underway, and when anchored. Even runs the 6,500-BTU Mermaid Marine Air A/C unit... :D

Inverter won't run the A/C, but makes it a no-hassle event to power up the microwave and heat up some food when fishing for stripers in the winter.

Brian

Hookster57

Reaction score
Funny you mention the Mermaid. I've got the exact same unit and that was the main reason for getting the generator. Just last week I thought it stopped working (turns out the thermostat was bad). Anyway, I called Mermaid in Ft Myers and the guy said if I sent it down they would check it out. Taking the unit out is pretty easy. When they get the unit they said that even at 16 years old the unit checked out perfect on Amps, compression, etc. The unit looked old, rusty and corroded when I sent it. The guy recommended I replace the condenser, relay and transformer and also to let them acid wash and repaint the unit. They did all that for $290. When I got it back it looked spanking new and works great! Something to consider if your unit starts acting flaky. Lot cheaper than a new one. $1500.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Hi Hookster57, and thanks for the tips re the Mermaid. Ours is not nearly that old, and still does a great job. I have replaced the SW circ pump once already.

Brian