Grady White Tournament - Purchase Insight Needed

Jeff_R

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Late this past summer I sold my 17' Whaler. This was the 3rd Whaler I have restored and sold and my 7th Whaler overall. In fact, Whalers are all I have ever owned. So, I am kind of a Whaler guy through and through. With years of buying, selling and restoring Whalers I have become very knowledgeable about these boats...their history, their build techniques, how to restore them, how to survey them, their market values, what models are sought after and what one are not, etc, etc.

Right now I currently share a 23' Boston Whaler WalkAround Whaler Drive with my Father so, I have access to bigger boat with twins and a cuddy for fishing and cruising around the Great Lakes. So I am looking for a good boat to replace the 17' Whaler that fits my family's needs better than another Center Console. Of course this has led me to start looking at Dual Consoles and have really began to like the Grady White Tournament models. With a $10,000 budget, I am have began to focus in on the 190 model from the mid 80's to mid 90's as well as the 192 Tournament from the Mid 90's on. I am leaning toward the 192 as I much prefer the transom design. The more I look into the 192's more I am coming to realize it's the boat that I think is going to my next boat.

With that said I am looking to Grady owners for some insight. Do the 190 and 192 have any inherent problems to them that one should look for when surveying these models? I know people commonly point the rotting transoms. What's the most obvious sign of this? Is the 190 more likely to this problem than the later 192?

People also say to inspect the stingers? How can you do that effectively. In the photos of ones I have seen online, it looks tough to inspect below decks.

What is the hull construction of Grady's, are they foam filled like a Whaler?

What are current and past owners thoughts on the boat's ride quality, layout, usability, and overall ownership? Is there anything you did not like or would like to change about them?

Also, does anyone know what they roughly weight sitting on a trailer? I have a Ford Flex with a 4500# capacity. I have to believe this boat is less than that.

Finally could someone point me in the right direction to see a large group of images of one of these models. I am interested in overall exterior but, mainly detailed shots of the interior and any below deck areas. I have never set foot on one, there are just not many of these around the Great Lakes. I am trying to get the best understanding of the boat inside and out to educate me on the what to look for and the questions to ask because, I might have to agree to buy one sight unseen.

Just for reference this is my usually Whaler Inspection go-by sheet that I created..LINK

Thanks for any help. Cheers,
Jeff Rohlfing

gradydriver

Reaction score
Jeff as a former Whaler guy myself....I have owned three 17 Montauks....1998, 2003 & 2005....Just sold my 2005 and got a GW 208 Adventure with a Yam 200....As I get older I don't want to take as much of a pounding and the SeaV2 Hull takes care of that problem.....You say you're looking at a 192....they have hand laid Fiberglass like all the Gradys and they fill in with foam....not the Unibond construction of the Whalers....I have driven dozens of 192s...nice riding hull....and use of space...most people complain about the 2inch step as you go up to the bow....a real toe buster...besides that perfect all around boat...the 192 weighs about 3500lbs with a 150 Yam 4 stroke on it....Go to http://www.grady-white.com there is a wealth of information there....If I see any 192's come up I will let you know... :mrgreen:

Jeff_R

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Gradydriver Thanks.

I have been searching around and have a question. What year did the SeaV2 hull come into production and is the ride of the SeaV2 192 that much greater than an earlier 190? I ask as I have come across a really super clean 190 from the 1980's.

Jeff_R

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Well I found a really clean 1988 190 with a 2000ish very low hours Yamaha 150 and a like new 2006 tandem axle trailer. I had a mechanical inspection done this week and it the boat passed well. I am having a local shop to the boat raise the motor up two holes today and the owner and I are planning to met on Sunday so I can take delivery of the boat.

Pretty excited for sure....

Here are some images:
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v427/jeff_rohlfing/190 Grady White/?start=all

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Looks like its in good shape. Congratulations on the purchase and welcome to the family.