Grady/Yamaha combo

Peahead

Reaction score
I share ownership of a 2001 Grady White Gulfstream 232 (business) and have also just purchased a 2000 228 seafarer for playing. Both were purchased "new to me" this year and came with original 2000 Yamaha HPDI power ( twin 150's on the 232 and single 200 on the 228)

My 4 questions mostly based on the Yamaha power and guages but since Grady bundles with Yamaha I thought I'd check here.

1) the Gulfsream test buzzer/alarm signals when you turn the keys on, my seafarer does not have the test buzzer/alarm come on when I turn the key.

Does this mean that perhaps the past owner of the 228 maybe disconnected the buzzer ? Could this mean for the 228 my warning alarms for issues such as low oil and overheat are not working and won't come on ? If so is this an easy change/fix ?

2) On the Yamaha guage my trim shows the bars at 2/3 and it never changes no matter where the trim is set - Is this a common problem and an easy fix ?

3) On the Yamaha guage the main tank fuel level shows full bars during 1st use and dropped 1 bar during use that day - after a while it then suddenly dropped to show empty (flashing bar at bottom ) Any ideas why that is happening ? Stuck sender unit now reading correctly ? Bad guage ? Bad wire on guage or at sender ? Its been that way now for a few days and I have yet to fill the tank to see if it changes. I measured fuel in main tank and it was about 4" deep so not sure how full or empty the tank truly is ( 92 gallon tank capacity for that main tank)

4) the sender unit on the main tank does not line up well with the opening of the inspection hatch so difficult to get at it and get it out - how do I get it out without pulling the whole cockpit floor panel ( the sending unit includes the long pipe underneath so can't tilt it toward inspection hatch opening and get enough clearance to get it out) Does the pipe/float assembley unscrew?

Thanks for all your assistance and experience guys....

Greg

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Congratulations on your new purchase.

1.) The buzzer can be tested by removing the safety harness (lanyard) and turning the key to start. If the buzzer sounds, it's working.

2.) Trim sender. Either the plastic cam which the trim sender arm touches is broken, or the sender itself is shot. You can feel up under the steering tube for the sender. With the key on and someone watching the gauge, move the arm on the sender. If the bars show up (or disappear - depending on which direction you are moving the arm) then the sender is OK. Yamaha redesigned the "Cam" from plastic to SS, and it's a cheap ($15) part to replace. If the sender is shot, hunt on eBay for a motor being parted out. A new one is around $150 or so.

3 and 4) The fuel sender is probably bad. Take it out, measure it, and order a replacement from WEMA (http://www.wemausa.com). I just this week replaced mine. The part was about $60, and took 30 minutes to install. My sender didn't line up with the hatch either, but I removed the entire inspection plate (including the frame) and had plenty of access to get to the sender.

One note about the new sender and the gauge...there is a delay in the sender sending readings to the gauge...this is on purpose and keeps the bars from bouncing up and down as you hit a wave. It will read, it just takes a few seconds, at least with my new WEMA sender.

One suggestion...not sure what prop you are running on the 228/200 setup, but hunt for a 15.5x17 Merc Mirage Plus...it's seems to be a great fit for this setup (225/226/228 and a 200 2 stroke). I've run the same model prop on all 3 and the performance results were noticable.

Good luck....

GulfSea

Reaction score
Beyond the answers above, I just found my trim arm stiff (under the steering cylinder). I think it was from someone using the wrong lubricant. But I cleaned it up and it works perfect now. You've got 2 awesome boats to use; I have an 08' 228 and can't say enough good about it! If I moved up, it would be to the Gulfstream.