Great Results w/ Grady Gelcoat

langski93

Reaction score
I have always hesitated to fill in a couple of cosmetic dings on the topsides of my 208, figuring I would just make it worse. Recently, I had an incident with an unfamiliar dock that left the corner where the topside and the transom meet with a good sized snake bite down to the darker fiberglass. I had no choice but to make the repair. Long story short, I bought the repair sized jar of Gelcoat matched by hull year, at the Grady dealer, and used wet sandpaper from 400, 600, 1000 to 2000 (could have stopped at 1000) and the results are excellent! A few minutes to tape around the area, a few minutes to mix and apply, 10 minutes with the boss's hairdryer on warm setting to cure (optional) and a few hours of lawn mowing and errand running while it did final curing. I took my time to sand out about 30 minutes and was done. I used the leftover to cover the cosmetic dings referred to earlier and the toughest part of the whole job was paying the $32.00 for the 2.0 oz jar of Gelcoat from the dealer. Seriously though, if your boat has a ding that has been bugging you everytime you look at it, go for it. The gelcoat is very forgiving and you will be pleased in the end.
langski93