Gulfstream 23 water in bilge area

BillR

Reaction score
I just purchased a used 2005 Gulfstream. I see there is a bit of water in bilge about a cup or maybe a bit more at most. Is this normal or should it be completely dry?

Thanks in advance.

Bill

NIGHTIDES

Reaction score
Have someone look in your bilge just as you get the boat on plane to see what she is really holding.. You may be surprised at how much more there is.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Welcome to the site! Many a Gulfstreamer here!

Bilge spaces in all motor boats are meant to be wet. No problem. Rain, anchoring, and washdowns get water in bilge readily.

If you have leaks the bilge pump will run more often than it rains, not good, so monitor bilge condition each time you arrive at boat, and be aware when bilge pump runs auto.

dipthenet

Reaction score
Lots in my 1989 Gulfstream. When I say lots, I mean enough to make someone think it could be an issue. But I recently pulled my I/O 350 out and found that the setup for the bilge is on a raised pad if you will. This pad sits higher and holds the pump and auto float. That said, it will never drain or dry the entire bilge area. Just keep an eye on it, and like Bobp said, pay close attention if your auto keeps kicking the pump on something could be leaking. Good Luck

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Small amounts of water are normal, you will get some water inside the hull from washing the boat, it will leak in in small amounts through rhe anchor locker, some salt spray on really rough days might find its way in there too, but were talking little amounts that over time might show as a small puddle. The biggest accumulation will come from the deck, the caulk needs to be checked, if it is peeling or coming up replace it. Also, the in deck circular hatch covers need new gaskets every other season, and if opened a bit for sea cock access, every season. If you have sea cocks and the boat is left in the water, close them when possible, that way they cannot leak over time and if a hose breaks or a clamp loosens or breaks you do not sink the boat. I recommend checking all the in deck screws as well, over time they tend to loosen on some, but not all Grady's. On both Grady's we've owned, I took one day where it was really windy and removed them all and resealed them with a proper sealant so they remained water tight, and also so any water on deck does not seep in and years down the road cause the deck to go soft. Very simple task that is well worth the effort, will also keep some water from seeping into the bilge.
If you ever do have a build up of water that is abnormal, check your sea cocks first, also make sure the bilge pumps work. From time to time I will actually put a gal or 2 of water in to let them run if no water is present, and when I come on plane after a big rain storm I will plow and give the boat a big trim angle and let the water build aft then flip the pump on to get rid of anything I can, also lets you know the pumps are working since my boat rarely ever accumulates enough to gon on at the dock or while at rest.

Best of luck and enjoy the boat!!!