Gulfstream Black Tackle/Access Hatches

LIVE WIRE

Reaction score
I have a 99 Gulfsteam and looking for options/advice on replacing or repairing the trim around the black lexan tackle and access hatches. 2 on each side of the transom and the elongated tackle drawer behind the captains chair. ( which is the in the worst shape) The Black doors themselves are in good shape, but the trim has turned yellow and is chipping/cracking. Had a custom boat shop up here near Cape Cod price up new white hatches and hardware for the tune of $1200.00, which at that point i can live with the yellow. Have searched around on line for pre fab doors, but nothing has jumped out as a good solution.

Has anyone replaced these before?? Especially that tackle drawer?

RJTFD

Reaction score
I have same issue and even priced a new one thru Grady and price was almost $400 dollars for a new one. Mine are in good shape except for the one under captains chair. I was going to build a new one myself just haven't got to it. I ordered a piece of 1/4" starboard in seafoam and was going to make a frame for the outside than I was going to make a separate from stepped in to secure inside cabinet which I plan on building out of pvc board. It sounds a little more complicated than I think it is just haven't sat down and really looked at it so to match it to origional . I am a finished carpenter by trade so I've built plenty of custom cabinets over the years.
My lexan is in good shape just the trim around is yellow and has a corner missing. The yellow comes off with rubbing compound.
another way I was thinking was to order 1" piece of starboard (7"x18") and router out the recess than trim down the outer trim to 1/4" so it is the same as whats there than just mount a new box inside of it. I had found different size(thickness) starboard online and you can order any size (LxW) for very cheap and match the grady color.

LIVE WIRE

Reaction score
I was thinking of all the same things myself, just haven't taken them apart yet to figure out what i want to do. If you do come up with something that looks good, please let me know!

RJTFD

Reaction score
Will do. Hopefully I will do it in the spring I just havent had the time to really give it a good look and I dont want it to look like it was slopped together. Hardest part when working with the starboard is joing the 2 pieces together any type of adhesive is not going to stick very long and I dont want to see any screws so I think I have no choice but to buy a piece big enough than router the recess so it matches the factory molded one.