Gulfstream Depth Finder Options

cgmiller

Reaction score
Hello Gents,

I bought a 1990 230 Gulfstream in the fall and picked up a Garmin GPS/sounder combo to match what the previous owner removed but left the transducer behind...it worked OK, but is on the small side and with the boat shows coming up, I am thinking about picking up something different...the Garmin unit has a transom mount transducer that worked pretty poor when underway..I tried to scrap all the barnacles off it it when I got it, but had only moderate success. Is anyone running a thruhull transducer or a "shoot-thru" in their boats? I think I have room to put one in near the transome and maybe where the old oil tanks were if I can get the platform-thing out of the bilge....

Workdog

Reaction score
I installed an Airmar B60-20 thruhull ducer right next to the aft bilge pump on the Stbd side forward of the transom. I have it connected to a Lowrance LCX-37C, and have never broke lock with the bottom, with speeds up to 45 mph, and trolling in up to 6-7 footers. In Lake Erie, I have marked fish up to at least 35-40 mph in 75 FOW. If you're interested, I can get exact location measurements. My transom mounted transducer will not mark at above trolling speed either.

bayrat

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
When workdog provides you with the location of his ducer, take that transom mount and silicone it to the spot. Test it out. You may be surprised as I have had that work very well many times (although) its not really permanent. The idea is to see how it performs. If it does well you may want to consider an in hull transducer at that spot, thus avoiding putting a hole in the boat...if not you have workdogs fix. Cost?..tube of silicone .

Workdog

Reaction score
OK,here's the measurements of the ducer location. The center of the ducer is 10 1/2" forward of the transom, and approximately 11" from the center of the keel on the STBD side (measured from the outside of the hull). The approximate distance from the keel is because the keel is rounded and I have a trailer bunk in the way making an exact measurement more difficult. It is within a half in or so though. The ducer is positioned next to the aft bilge pump, accessible by removing the bilge access panel in the splashwell.

cgmiller

Reaction score
Workdog,

Thanks for the info..I have had 6 boats with thruhull transducers (3 raymarines, 2 sitex's and 1 eagle). I have no problem drilling or cutting holes in the hull..have done it many times...I am just looking for good all-speed performance...

Bayrat....I don't have a trailer for the boat, so once it goes in the water in the spring, I hope that it stays there until the ice chases me out.....