Gulfstream Pumps

fish-n-fun

Reaction score
'89 Gulfstream 232/ I am not smart enough to find either the fresh water pump or the one for washdown/livewell operation. I have looked through my manusl and tried to trace the lines. I have opened every access hole I can find - but neither pump can I find. I bought this boat several months ago and have been refurbishing it. Neither of these pumps seem to be working, or maybe I don't know how to turn them on. In any case, these are the last issues I know of and will appreciate any guidance as to where they and their swithches are located.

catch22

Reaction score
I had a 91 Gullfstream. The saltwater washdown pump was originally under the center deck, behind the main fuel tank. Accessed through the round deck plate. I didn't like that location, so I moved it to the transom area, port side.

The fresh water tank was located under the storage area, below the port side seat. You have to remove the drawer assembly to gain access.

The washdown switch should be on the dash switch panel. It should be marked livewell/wasdown, (if you have a livewell).

The switch's for the freshwater tank are located at each faucet, one on deck, (usually port side gunnel) and the cabin sink, (built into faucet valve)

Hope that helps.

NautiBuoys

Reaction score
On my '88 Gulfstream, both the freshwater and raw water pumps are under the port seat. Access by taking the drawers out under the seat. Freshwater pump is, as mentioned, in the tank; washdown pump just behind it.

fish-n-fun

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Now I understand why I couldn't find them. My helm switch for the "seawater" pump does nothing so that one is either a bad pump or an electrical issue. I will let you all know how I make out, but don't expect an overnight answer. Thanks again.

fish-n-fun

Reaction score
After removing the drawers under the mate's chair I find three pumps located there. One is the pump out for the holding tank that I am not allowed to use, one is the seawater pump and one very small one attached directly to the fresh water tank should be the fresh water pump. It seems none are working so I have to figure out how to get in that hole to remove them. I filled the fresh water tank thinking maybe water was required to make it work. Now I am not sure how I am going to drain it other than removing the directly attached pump and hopefully that water will drain to the bilge. Just to make life interesting the fresh water switch at the sink is funky and seem only to work when it is in the mood. Getting that swithch out is also going to be a challenge. Anyway, thanks for all the good advice.

catch22

Reaction score
fish-n-fun said:
After removing the drawers under the mate's chair I find three pumps located there. One is the pump out for the holding tank that I am not allowed to use, one is the seawater pump and one very small one attached directly to the fresh water tank should be the fresh water pump. It seems none are working so I have to figure out how to get in that hole to remove them. I filled the fresh water tank thinking maybe water was required to make it work. Now I am not sure how I am going to drain it other than removing the directly attached pump and hopefully that water will drain to the bilge. Just to make life interesting the fresh water switch at the sink is funky and seem only to work when it is in the mood. Getting that swithch out is also going to be a challenge. Anyway, thanks for all the good advice.

The first thing I'd do before you go tearing everything out, is - check all your connections, including the connection right on the switch, (dash, sink, etc). They probably used spade connectors at or near the pumps. If they did, I'll bet they're in very poor condition. I've seen a lot of these connectors literally fall apart, especially if they're in a wet area.
One thing you could try is, disconnect or cut the wires close to the pumps and hook up a 12v source... to see if the pumps actually work. Even if you end up replacing any pumps, it won't hurt to re-do the connections. Use a sealent on any new connectors too.