Gulfstream Stereo Plans

lgusto

Reaction score
Hi to everyone.

We're getting a new (to us) 2005 Gulfstream ready and our dealer will be installing a stereo. Is this a no brainer, with a standard approach to speakers, main and remote unit placement, etc., or are there some personal preferences that should come into play?

The gear is:
M475 Clarion head unit
MA-RCAMF-7M Clarion remote extension
Four Clarion coax marine speakers
Miscellaneous splitters, ipod jack, etc.

Thanks,

Larry

GWcpa

Reaction score
I installed a system in my Gulfstream including sub, XM, and amplifier. Installed the head unit in the cabin behind the helm and a remote on the helm in the guage cluster.

One recommendation I have is to install the front speakers flush in the forward "rigging boxes" which are the formica coverd plywood enclosures under the helm and in front of the companion seat. My port side box was rotten and I replaced it, epoxied the starboard box edges to prevent rot. Grady CS sent new material to me gratis for this.

If you want cockpit speakers I recommend downward facing box speakers (such as polyplanar) under the deck to avoid cutting holes into the fiberglass.

If you want to hear the system while running a sub makes a huge difference. I mounted it in the port side box.

Good luck with the install. Great boat you have.

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Yes, amp and sub - even if it's a small one. Makes a HUGE difference.

Here's my stereo install thread from last year:
http://www.greatgrady.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4671

I never did do a wired controller in the helm, the hand remote that came with the head unit will bounce the signal off the side of the cabin and control it flawlessly. I thought they had to point directly at the unit - not so!

Oh, and we have two ipods now, and a book of MP3 CD's. You can put over 150 songs on an MP3 disc. I 'borrowed' 7000 songs from a friend's collection - 35GB of MP3's

Gulfstreamrobby

Reaction score
FYI.... For those who have not put tunes in their boat yet, I bought a $45 all in one package at WALLMART(two 8" round speakers and a tuner by Pioneer). Installed the tuner in glovebox and drilled holes in the board at the drivers feet area(facing stern) and the passenger feet area. The cavity provided all the space for deep bass sound. For $45 it cant be beat. Just a (for once) short money alternative for a DIY'er.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Excellent cost saving tips for the DIYers, bring on more !!