Gulfstream v. Journey

vinoaddict

Reaction score
I am considering both the Gulfstream and the Journey. I have read several postings about both. I am leaning toward the Gulfstream with a 350 HP. I would appreciate any input on the "negatives" if any.

Also, I read that the Gulfstream is wide and therefore difficult legally to trailer (as compared to the Journey)-- I would appreciate it if anyone could explain what the rules are on trailering a boat like the Gulfstream.

Thanks in advance.

cgmiller

Reaction score
How much time do you plan on towing the boat? Short hops around town, many do not worry about it. My buddy drags his around oftenand takes it out to the local gas stations...for me, it is a big boat to schlep around. The Journey is going to rock a little more with the narrower beam and should run a little better in a chop due to the narrower beam..the gulfstream will feel like a bigger boat with the 1 foot wider beam...I have had 8-8.5 foot boats and the Gulfstream just feels much larger..plus there is much more room at the helm....

grady23

Reaction score
If you decide on the Gulfstream, Check in to getting Twin F150's. You can run on both and troll on 1 -- VERY fuel effcient that way. YES -- 2 can be twice the maintance, but everyone I've ever spoken with says they wish they had purchased the twins rather than a single. That 350 is a BIG ENGINE!
I have a '97 Gulfstream (see Signiture) and having the bracket gives you as much cockpit space as a 28 Sailfish. As for trailering --- I've towed mine to North Carolina 5 times Chincoteaque several times and to The Chesapeake Bay countless times and NEVER had a problem with the police. At 9'3" it sits just over top the trailer fenders. The main thing is to drive like you have good sense and allow plenty of distance. I have a 3/4 Chevy 2500 Duramax HD that I tow with now. I used to tow with a 5.3 Gas 1500 Suburban. The Suburban did "OK" but stuggled on long hills. Balanced load was the key to using the 1/2 ton. The 2500 HD just doesn't care -- It's a BEAST. Find out where the nearest Graday-White club meets and go there and talk to owners. Great people and I've NEVER met someone that didn't want to talk about thier boat. BTW-- DON'T let someone tell you a 7K trailer is eneough for a Guflstream. I wish I'd bought at least an 8.5 K or better. The 7k works, but TVW is about max.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I agree with what grady23 says overall.
My input would be on power. I have the Gulfstream with twin 200's and it's a perfect match.
Look at the specs on the grady site. The 200's will be the same fuel burn as the 150's because they don't have to run as hard. I would assume they would last longer because of the lighter work load, plus the cruising speed is faster.
Yes, yes the 200's are more money, and I seem to be able to spend other peoples money faster than my own. The 150's certainly would be better than any single, if nothing else because of the maneuverability around the dock. That said, several on this site like their singles on the 232.

I go fishing offshore on a friends Journey and his boat rides a little better than my Gulfstream due to the narrower beam, I think.

P.S.
The scuppers sit 1/2 way under water with the weight of the 200's. It doesn't matter. I've posted all this before. The boat drains fine.

cgmiller

Reaction score
Magical Bill,

How fast do you cruise around?

I was out on the ocean Sunday with 5-10 knots of wind with a 2' swell from the east and a 1-2 chop from the south and roughly 22-23 mph was comfortable....I had the swell on the bow and the chop was throwing kidney punches on the chine...any faster than that and we were getting thrown around the boat..on the way in the wind had picked up and I was cruising at 3200-3300 running 23-24 mph and that was as fast as it was comfortable to hump along....and it was a moderately nice day on the ocean...I feel the F150's are a great match for my boat. I keep the aux tank empty and only run off the 90 gallon main tank and typically only have 2-3 persons onboard. If you are running around with 180 gallons of fuel and 4-5 people it may be noticible...but everyone's typical useage is going to be different.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Hi cg;
My cruising speeds are close to yours.

A combination of swell and surface chop as you describe would keep me in the mid 20's.

To answer your question in a general sense, if I'm in less than 2-footers I run about 27-29 mph. Calm conditions I run 32-33 at 3900-4000 and tab according to conditions.

I must confess I haven't actually ridden on a 232 with twin 150's. It's certainly the most popular power setup. I have always powered my stuff to the max, and as I said, it cruises nicely at 3800. This gets me 30 MPH and my top cruise is 4400 at 36 MPH.

Glad the 150's hit a sweet spot with you and your boat. I would assume the lighter weight aft planes you pretty quick.

cgmiller

Reaction score
If you put the coals to her she pops right up...but I dont run my boat like that...just eats fuel and beats on the engines..if I want to blast around I take out my 17 Mako..which runs about the same speeds as the Grady...you are running about 2 mph faster than me at the same rpms...but what fuel burn are you seeing? According to my flowcscan I am netting 2.3 mpg...2 mpg at 4000/30 mph, 2 mpg 4500/35 mph

Capt. Ed

Reaction score
Might want to look at the new Yamaha 200's. They are a lot lighter than the old models and would be awesome on the Gulfstream in my opinion.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Capt. Ed;
As we've been discussing, I have the 200's on my 232, but they are 2007's. I have not seen the new 200's; Did they change the cowling like they did the 250's, 300's and 350's?

cg;
Interesting...You get slightly better than me at a higher RPM register. Mine are as follows.
At 3600-3800 I can net 2.1 if I trim it out to just before cavitation. 1.9 to 2.0 usually.
At 4000 I'm at 1.8-1.9
From 4000-4400 I get 1.8 to 1.7.

These are in reasonably calm conditions with bottom paint. When I drop the tabs and slow into the mid- 20's to adjust to waves and wind it gets ugly. It's been as bad as 1.3-1.5 in the worst of it, but at that point, I'm going home, not pleasure cruising.

GW VOYAGER

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
vinoaddict said:
I am considering both the Gulfstream and the Journey. I have read several postings about both. I am leaning toward the Gulfstream with a 350 HP. I would appreciate any input on the "negatives" if any.

Also, I read that the Gulfstream is wide and therefore difficult legally to trailer (as compared to the Journey)-- I would appreciate it if anyone could explain what the rules are on trailering a boat like the Gulfstream.

Thanks in advance.
As some on here have said you can tow the Gulfstream as easily as towing the Journey but, and there is always a but, if you get in an accident wheather you are at fault or not you may be charged because of the wider boat.
Just somthing to think about.
Both are great so good luck on which ever one you go with.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Find out what towing restrictions apply in your area, once width exceed 8ft 6 inches, as it does. So at least you will know.

The reason Grady offered the largest 8ft 6 in beam walkaround made at one time, IMHO, is to trailer it, even showed it on a trailer in old litertaure. Yet side by side is a Sailfish, otherwise an Islander.

How far you intend to tow it routinely and what about the future? Other ports of call?
The advantage of towing it is, but may not apply.
The F350 as a single is plenty, I was thinking the newer large block F300 V6 may be fine too, considering cost differentail with V8 ? On the Gulf, be aware the Drive is unique for singles vs. twins, so a changeover calls for a new drive.

Just like the Islander, the Gulf can do a single motor option as a cost savings measure in both initial cost and mantenance forever. Howver, the comments on traaling apply. In tough seas and wind though you will run both on twins as heavy steering adjustments will be needed for slow trolling and is annoying and an effort, twin CCRs lock in the stern to the water way better.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
By the way, what is the new Yamaha F200s?

Isn't the new larger block V6s begin at 225 hp?

I may have to get back to the NY boat shows, loosing track of these things.

Another member posted the old F200s are still offered, not what factory reps said two years ago. Looks like if I go to show will have to work the reps over.

Even on days off I end up working!

Capt. Ed

Reaction score
The new 200 was introduced in Europe first. Haven't heard when it might be available here. But, if I wanted a Gulfstream, I would wait for this engine. About the same weight as the 150 and more of everything else.

Yamaha Launch new lightweight F200 outboard - Yamaha Motor …

http://www.yamaha-motor.eu/eu/news/index.aspx?id=515943

I owned a 2001 Gulfstream with twin 150 HPDI's and loved them. I now own a 255 with new 300. Based on my experiences, I think the Gulfstream's potential is only achieved with twins. Not saying you won't be happy with a single, just that you are not going to get the full benefit of the Gulfstream's performance.

As to single, a 350 is a must. For 90% of the time, my 300 on the 24'7" Freedom is great. But, when you need power and responsiveness, it's only ok.