GW335 Outriggers

capeman

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 335
I'd like to buy outriggers for my GW335. Should I buy retractable or is ridged pole the way to go? What are the pros/cons of the two types? Any suggests and recommended models would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Fuzz

pmgia

Reaction score
Model
Advance
I have the original RUPP taken off my 247 Advance, if you want them I am going to seel them, they are weld on and ridged

Reactions: Fuzz

Squid1962

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I use retractable. Ease of access for restringing, lubrication and easy to lower, raise under bridges etc

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I'm assuming you are mounting on hardtop with crank-out/crank-up bases. So you will not have spreader wires & rigging.
So...
No reason to get rigid poles. There are no "pros". Get retractable.
depending on budget...get carbon fiber heavy duty so you can pull spreader bars and daisy chains off the riggers.

Aluminum poles with no spreader rigging cannot handle heavy lures/dredges/spreader bars...ask me how I know....

depending on budget...

these are sweet....Gem Lux riggers

Reactions: capeman

brdawg2001

Reaction score
I am not on the same page with retractable...no way they will hold up over time and too much of a hassle to deal with halyards when they are not retracted...if you run offshore with them not out it is a pain to set them...I just turn mine and start fishing..I am a big rupp fan...the stuff works...been fishing with mine for 19 years....and 2200 hours...

Reactions: capeman

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
You can leave them out and rigged. When you are not going to be using them, you can retract them so they don't bouce ....and take them off easily and store them
I watched a guy rig them double while retracted and then extend the poles(the rigging lengths were already set from previous year). Looked a lot easier than what I do...

I have wishbone Lee Jr's with "solid" 18' poles...they are three pieces and I have to unscrew them to store them. try not to lose screws and eyes and t nuts and plastic washers...
They do however run fine in the up position, tucked in the "holder" at the side of hardtop.

Last edited:

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Have a 330 Express. Rupp is the only way to go. You can use the base to run your dredges. Can’t do that on those carbon fiber ones - at least the ones I’ve seen.

Reactions: brdawg2001

Jamato14

Reaction score
I’m considering selling the pair that came with my 272. Side mount telescoping 18’, I’ll get model later this week when I’m on the boat. I love how they look I just don’t or rarely troll and constantly go under bridges so theyll tend to be more in the way for my uses. I’m in NH so not too far from you. Let me know if you want specific details

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
With a bow rider or dual console your only option is going to be hard top mounted. I don't think you will have enough room on the sides to mount there. I went from rigid pole Lee's to telescoping tacos on my current boat. The telescoping is so much easier. I keep them double rigged and just collapse them when needed. There is a plastic cleat on the bottom section that the lines just wrap around. They are super easy to collapse and remove at the end of the season and/or if I have to go under a bridge, they just fold down. I will usually leave them up and extended the majority of the time, no problems with them collapsing or falling down. My current and previous boats where both expresses, the cabin side mounted and associated rigging got in the way going up to the bow. having them on the hard top with the rigging attached to the rod holder on the hardtop legs hardly ever get in the way.

Reactions: Fuzz and SkunkBoat