hand held gps

el jefe

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
My gps receiver was damaged recently and shut down the gps on the chart plotter and the vhf. That got me to thinking about a back up gps, and specifcally a hand held. Any recommendations on a hand held that will operate as a back up? Thanks.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Don't panic, there's that thing called a compass on the console!

gw204

Reaction score
BobP said:
Don't panic, there's that thing called a compass on the console!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It is so funny you mention that. With all this fancy electronic crap that's out these days, I still run by a chart book and compass.

Average Joe

Reaction score
My mistake. I thought he asked for recommendations on hand-held GPS units.... not smart a$$ comments :p

gerrys

Reaction score
I have a Garmin 76 CSx and it is a good, highly readable GPS. I have other Garmin machines so the interoperability is good. Something to consider.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The compass is for the future when the main unit fails again and the handheld unit's batteries are found dead since it was the first time the guy needed to use it since he bought it, and neglected actually using it periodically to verify it's integrity.

May actually need a paper chart or two to go along with it, remember paper charts ?

I recall having to learn how to plot a course at the Coast Guard Aux safe boating class I took many years ago, two different sessions over the years. I guess those days have passed.

There's nothing electronic ever to be sold now or in the future, including talking GPS and FF units for the boat. So help us, I can see that coming.
I'll never trade in my skills learned including my trusty parallel rule for any of this crap.

el jefe

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
You were completely right Average Joe. As to the smart ass comments, I learned how to navigate with a compass and ruler 40 years ago, and remember using rdf to find Bimini crossing the Gulf Stream in a sail boat. I was contemplating using the handheld gps to down load waypoints at diving sites and things like that, not as a primary navigation tool. In addition, I am confident that that wise acres don't navigate at night in areas with any sizeable populace. There are so many shore lights now that making out lighted markes can be very difficult and having a gps that tells you how close you are coming to something on a constant updating system is very helpful, and a hell of a lot more accurate than using your thumb and eyesight line. "the guy"

Brad1

Reaction score
I'll be using my Garmin GPS 5 deluxe as my backup. It's a good road navigation unit that also works decently on the water or off road. But I'm not sure if it's even available anymore. I bought mine 5 years ago. I had actually been using it as my Grady GPS the past 3 yrs (mounted on a RAM mount that's mounted on my flush mount pabel). But the screen was to hard to read when running in rough water.

I have heard that the Garmin 76 is a good unit. I highly recommend your back up portable GPS be versital and not geared to one use over another. In otherwords, get one that's equally suited for road navigation, marine use, and off road use. I take my GPS 5 with me when I travel. I won't travel without it. I also have a bracket for it on my street bike.

I agree with gw204 and Bobp about having a good compass readily available and IMO there was nothing smart a$$ about their posts.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
I use an old Garmin 12. Basic unit but highly satisfactory for a backup. It also has a 12v cable option so I have back up power to to internal backup power. It amazes me how some think they can't go out for a day without a nav kit and complete chart pack, and anyone who does is a suspect mariner. Most folks just aren't navigating the inside passage in the fog! :?

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
You never know! Plenty of guys beached their boats unintentionally and drove their bows into buoys and fixed pile markers, day and night . Gradys don't look good with pilings sticking out of them.

Every time I turn on my GPSs, there is one of these messages to acknowedge before it continues. A present from the raymarine and garmin law departments (and the added price to go along with $400/hr fee), courtesy of the beached and otherwise wrecked boneheads who are looking to blame someone or something, anyone but themselves, besides driving up the price of insurance.

Yes the day will come when the fishfinders, chartplotters, radar units, will be talking, with voices of the Admiral persuasion, directing us by words where to fish, where the channel is, and the boat coming to port "you are too close stupid, turn to starboard".

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have a Garmin 60CS with the Bluecharts loaded. It works REALLY well. I put a velcro strip on the dash it's always ready. A pair of lithium AA's last more than 20 hours and I always carry spares in my backpack.

I used it for the last year 'till I got my GPS puck for the Lowrance, and added the Navionics chart chip for it too. The base maps on any of these units suck.

My only reservation is that it is hard to see at night, and the screen is getting smaller by the day for this old man's eyes :wink: For younger folks, they work just fine. Putting my glasses on to read the damn thing is a little silly.

They offer the CX now I believe, if you shop you can get them for mid-$300's. The charts you can pick up online for under $100. Garmin is, hands-down, the best handheld mapping unit. Just get one that has the buttons on the face, not on the side like the e-trex. That was the advice I got from an experienced jeeper, and sure enough, they were right.

But yes, you have to pay attention, you can still run into something in the dark or fog.

I carry a handheld VHF too, just in case the Icom fails. The two units fit in the drink carriers on my backpack so they're always with me - 'just in case'.

ahill

Reaction score
I have a Garmin 276C with S. Florida & Bahamas chip in it. It has an external antenna and has been great. I use it on my Grady and 17' Mako. I put the optional fixed mount base on each boat. It's small enough to put in a pocket. Its celestial features are real handy for fishing, tides and moon phases.