Handrails and Rust...... How to address

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I store my caulks in the refrigerator and get at least 6 months out of them. If not, like you said, rock hard in very short order.
Use a piece of coat hanger wire (or a long nail) to stick into the end of the cartridge and it helps to get some longer life too. Wrap in plastic cling from the kitchen

Last edited:

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I wanted to look at the data sheets to see if 4000 was a similar compound to 4200/5200 and it seems it isn't. I store 5200 in the freezer and it can last a long time, a year or more. The freezing doesn't hurt it but I don't know the 4000 would act the same way. 4000 is a new thing to me and I knew nothing about it.
3m 4000 is a Polyether caulk.3M 4200 is a Polyurethane caulk. 3M 4000 is more UV resistant while 4200/5200 are better below the waterline. Some guidance from 3m:

Reactions: SmokyMtnGrady

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
Use a piece of coat hanger wire (or a long nail) to stick into the end of the cartridge and it helps to get some longer life too. Wrap in plastic cling from the kitchen
I do something similar. Long finishing nail, red or green wire nut on top and in the garage frig. I do that with all of my sealants and adhesives. A battery operated caulking gun helps a lot when you need to use it again.