Hard power steering

markd3682

Reaction score
Hello, I just bought my first Grady. It's a 1985 226 Seafarer with a 225 2 stroke Yamaha. I took the boat out today for it's first voyage. I noticed that the so called power steering was not too much power. It actually felt like it was rough. It would move then get hard then move and get hard again. The unit is a Hynautic Reservalve. The last owner said something about pumping air into the canister, right now it reads 20 pounds. I think he said to keep about 25 lbs. Does that sound right. Does it need to be bled also?

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
Mark

uncljohn

Reaction score
Hmmm, pumping air INTO the steering system? That sounds odd. Normally air getting into your system means you get "soft" spots in your turn, not hard spots. Maybe this is some other non-fluid type of hydraulic system?

markd3682

Reaction score
It has a guage in the top of the aluminum canister that says keep 25-30 lbs in it. I have read other posts that also say something about bleeding systems, but I'm not familiar with this one.

uncljohn

Reaction score
normally you "bleed your hydraulic system" in order to remove air from the system. It should be filled w/ hydraulic fluid. However, my SeaStar hydraulic system doesn't indicate any "psi". I really don't k now what you're dealing w/.

gwwannabe

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Hi. I did a Google search on Hynautic Reservalve and got a lot of info that I browsed. None of the documents mentioned air pressure but I'm sure that's for the newer units.

The reservalve is a hydraulic over-preasure relief valve. According to the info, you should have a resevoir under your helm on the back side of your wheel. Check that tank - it could be low which give you the symptons you're experiencing.

You might want to do the Google search I did as that is the only knowledge I have. Hynautic is apparently a brand owned by Teleflex. This link will take you to some troubleshooting info for the Hynautic.

http://www.fishing-catalog.com/hynautic ... _intro.htm

Gary 89 Overnighter

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
If the steering is hydraulic, then it is air bound if it is very difficult. Bleed system per manuf. instructions.

Marty grady 272

Reaction score
You do not have power stearing, you have a hydrolic pump stearing system made by the Hynautic Co. Yes it takes air pressure to operate it. Make sure you have the proper power stearing fluid for your application then using a bike pump or a 12 volr auto pump put in about 35 to 40 pounds of air pressure in the tank. My 85 Sailfish had the same type of system. I always kept a small air pump and stearing fluid on my boat. Because it is a air pressure system and the pressure is on all of the time it tended to leak either fluid or air. I had to have my cylinder seals replaced. No one in the marine industry wanted to touch my needed repair because the Hynautic system was no longer made and is outdated. I took the cylinder to a hydrolic repair shop and got the cylinder rebuilt for under $50.00.

seabob4

Reaction score
Marty,
As you stated, that Hynautic system has long been discontinued, and most of you may know, Hynautic has been owned by Teleflex for the last several years.

There is a gentleman on THT, Marc Adams, goes by the screen name "seastar steering", represents Teleflex (he's on my site as well) that is not only a very good friend of mine, but is one of the best as far as the technical/trouble-shooting aspects of both the Hynautic and the Teleflex systems. Mark,If you start a thread over there, he will eventually chime in and offer you the advice you need.

But since the system is 25 years old now, it may be time to consider getting a new system...JMHO.

markd3682

Reaction score
Thanks all for the replies. I wil check out the info you have given me and yes it probably is time to get a new steering system but the problem is cash right now. I spent all my money getting the boat and fixing it up for this season. Mayber next year I'll change it.

Once again thanks all.