Hardtop Mystery Wires Help

ayacht

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have 4 wires that were not hooked up before (or I would have labeled them) that I am trying to determine what they go to? I see in the manual that the White/Red Stripe ones are for a VHF power lead but there are 2 of them (Maybe GW expected 2 VHFs?) Also they describe it in the manual as Red/Whit that means red with a white stripe in my terms. I was hoping one of you could save me the time of testing and tracing them. They are in a factory harness.

Here is a picture of them.

Attachments

• Hardtop Mystery Wires.jpg
    Hardtop Mystery Wires.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 1,299

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Most likely just another circuit, the wires don't know what's hooked up. Are they both 'hot'?

Fishtales

Reaction score
just tossing it out there... Maybe two for power (hot and return) and two for NEMA output?

1st grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
One set is a dedicated non switched but fused line for the VHF. (probably as a safety to eliminate the erroneous switch problems)
One is for the additional electronics in the overhead box, spreader lights, FM radio, GPS etc.
I am not using the VHF line as it does have a continuous power draw which over time does reduce the battery. I run all power from the switched wire so when I leave the boat everyting is OFF.

ayacht

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
From GW Customer service so far. Not a definative answer but asked again fo her to get it confirmed.

"Hello Mark,

I forwarded your photo to our wiring guy to get his thoughts and this is his response:
They were for SeaKey. It was an aftermarket security/safety feature. Due to the labor involved in running wires to the various places that were needed for the system, we included it in our harnesses. Needless to say the system never got popular and therefore we have since removed the wiring. It is there for the taking if he can use it for anything. The blue is connected to our backlighting (on with the nav light switch) and the red/pnk is wired to the memory breaker in the select box. Not sure about the white/red wires. I think they go to the fwd bilge area."

Does that make any sense or ring any bells?

ayacht

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The Final Word on Re: Hardtop Mystery Wires Help

They are NOT VHF or mostly useful other then the backlight one and red that could be useful in the future.

"Hi Mark,

He stated that you might have a 10ga red/wht and a 10ga blk/wht. We used to provide those in the hardtops as well for VHF power and they went straight to the battery. Due to having a fuse block in our hardtops with a radio box and a more efficient VHF radio’s, we no longer provide those either as they are not necessary The wires discussed below are NOT for VHF. They are for the Sea Key feature. The red/white A and B go to the forward bilge to monitor a float switch to determine if the boat is taking on water. The blue is a backlight circuit that is 12V+ when the navigation light switch is in the up position. It is the same circuit that powers the backlights on the switches themselves. The red/pink goes to the battery select box on the memory breaker. It has power all the time. The reason they are in the hard top is that is where the dealers indicated the Sea Key system would be installed. Hope this helps. Please let us know if we can answer any additional questions."