has anyone added a swim platform?

CaptKennyW

Reaction score
I have a boat with a bracket, I have seen them on bracket boats but dont know how much trouble it would be to install one. I think I would put one on each side cause i like the way that looks and they would definatly be the teak ones! Any helpful tips? Measurements? Are all platforms a somewhat standard size? My boat doesnt have one at all right now, and I know I will need one for swimming.

Thanks

Stonewall

Reaction score
My Son recently added one to his 226. He called Grady customer service and they gave him the exact install location. Give them a try.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Do you want full width or just one side?

If you do a fill width starboard unit, set it to the height on top sitting on the drive, and will need less struts overall, to hold it up as it extends off to either side.

Be sure to seal the transom bolts well.

The one side units are very inexpensive relative to full width.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The standard aftemarket starboard 1/2 platform at the stores will work, unless you want to go for the costly 1/2 glass OEM one, which may be a bit bigger.

Aftermarket - I believe there are two versions, outboard and I/O.
The I/O has two loop grab rails on top, the outboard has one loop and one bracket off the transom from below. Either will work, however you may want the I/O version so you can walk across the stern w/o the linner loop in your way.

CaptKennyW

Reaction score
ya the I/O one is what im looking for...A boat "junk" yard around here has a good selection old teak platforms ill just get the pick of the litter.

Hunter

Reaction score
I got a question, does Grady through bolt them or are they screwed. On my 208 it looks as thought the top of the rales would be in a spot to high to through bolt.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Capt. K, look at the Shore Power subject, Flynair's post, the photo, in the background is your boat, see the platform on the right. It looks like you will have to contend with the transom cleat, the guy used the I/O version but in the reverse configuration to clear the cleat.

catch22

Reaction score
Hunter said:
I got a question, does Grady through bolt them or are they screwed. On my 208 it looks as thought the top of the rales would be in a spot to high to through bolt.

Through bolt it and thoroughly seal it. I would never trust just screws on a swim platform.

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I recently had to pull the swim platform off and have a glass guy repair it $350........ouch! I guessed $150............but the original was not particularly strong , fixed with coach bolts and we couldn't see any sealant. Overall not reassuring, it's fixed now and is much stronger and stiffer. Would still like to fit a custom larger platform that would also keep fish from getting amongst the props.

CaptKennyW

Reaction score
BobP said:
Capt. K, look at the Shore Power subject, Flynair's post, the photo, in the background is your boat, see the platform on the right. It looks like you will have to contend with the transom cleat, the guy used the I/O version but in the reverse configuration to clear the cleat.

i see it bob that would work for me!