Head Pump not sucking in water

Bill_N

Reaction score
The head on my 265 isn't pulling in water the last couple times we used it. Seacock is open and the lever was flipped over but nothing comes up. It will drain but had to put some freshwater in to rinse it down.

Any ideas on this?

Bill

gerrys

Reaction score
Not sure how you're piped up. In my Marlin, water for the head came off the pressurized fresh water system. Therefore, the pump had to be running to get water to the head.

If yours is a raw water feed, you might start at the strainer. If its clear, pull the hose off the top of the seacock to see if theres an obstruction.

Bill_N

Reaction score
It's a raw water feed. It sounds like I have to start pulling hoses. Not looking forward to it

ahill

Reaction score
If its a Jabsco it may have lost its prime. When I trailered my 272 I learned to close all seacocks before removing from water.
Jabsco has priming info in their owners manual.

dduflo

Reaction score
I think you need to prime it. There is a white hose that runs from the pump to the bowel. Remove the bowel end and pour in some water while pumping. Reasemble and you should be good to go. Iv'e been meaning to put a T in the line to make it easier.

Bill_N

Reaction score
It's a Jabsco. I'll try priming it this w/e. Gotta keep the ladies happy!

Thx, Bill

beatnick

Reaction score
Head pump

Not sure if your pump is manual or electric. My manual head pump has a flap inside that is pushed in when the handle is in flush dry position. If left in that position it ends up cracking and staying in the open position. When the handle is in position to pump water in it won't create a seal and allow water to be pumped in. They sell a rebuild kit. I've changed mine a couple of times. Remember not to leave in the flush dry position.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
When our Jabsco manual pump started being difficult, I removed it and installed the electric conversion kit.

Never fails to take a suction, and so much easier.

Admiral is HAPPY. (See Rule #1).

Brian

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Same here ,when my Jabsco manual died 12 months ago it was cheaper to buy acomplete electric toilet with macerator than the jabsco manual kit.

P.S. got my new Groco installed last week and found it was hooked up to a 5 amp circuit breaker ......switched breakers and she pumps beautifully.........well that's if a macerator can be described as performing "beautifully"

Bill_N

Reaction score
I tried pouring water down the white tube to the bowl Sunday night after we got in from fishing. Didn't resolve the issue. I'll have to dig around for the manual and check the priming procedure.

I'm paranoid of the electric units. Would rather fix the Jabsco if I can ...

Bill_N

Reaction score
Found my manual. It's a 29090-2000 and is self-priming so I guess I need a seal assy on the pump handle. Do I have to get Jabsco parts direct from them?

Bill_N

Reaction score
Re: Head pump

beatnick said:
Not sure if your pump is manual or electric. My manual head pump has a flap inside that is pushed in when the handle is in flush dry position. If left in that position it ends up cracking and staying in the open position. When the handle is in position to pump water in it won't create a seal and allow water to be pumped in. They sell a rebuild kit. I've changed mine a couple of times. Remember not to leave in the flush dry position.

I called Jabsco and described the problem and they sent me a new gasket. Works like a champ now...