Headlights?

oceanpearl

Reaction score
I am going to be going to VA from NC this summer and in case I have to boat in the dark what type of lights should I buy that would act as like headlights so I don't run into anything.

Fishtales

Reaction score
If you have a hardtop you could mount a couple of lights that have joystick control that will give you a decent option. Depending upon conditions though, these can have some glare. Another option would be to have lights mounted in the hull in the flare section. I don't have these and cannot speak to the effectiveness, but there are a few that have them on their boats. Thinking outside the box - maybe some temporary attached led rope leds below the rub rail to give others the opportunity to see you better. I don't think they would give you any light though. Maybe just change all bulbs that you have in your standard lights with LED bulbs to brighten things up?

Fishtales

Reaction score
Sorry... Thought about this post too. Maybe see what this guy has to offer. He may have an inexpensive alternative to doing some hard core lighting adds for a single trip. Just a thought....

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19376

Capt. Ed

Reaction score
Suggest you learn more about rules and regs on night boating and lights first. Using lights other than the required navigation lights while running at night is generally not a good idea and depending on their use, violate Coast Guard and State regulations.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I echo Captain Ed's comments. The use of search lights at night is a double edged sword. If there is any significant glare, which is most often the case, it ruins your night vision for an hour or more. Running lights are designed to allow other vessels to determine heading and are a key determinate of right-of-way at night and if obsured by "head lights" can be invisible and illegal. A handheld is good for unlit day markers in an open boat. A hardtop searchlight mounted far enough back to keep glare off the bow is good. A good GPS chart plotter with radar overlay can be valuable if kept down to a low brightness. Nothing really works to spot floating obstacles very well.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I agree that you don't use them while generally running, but not having a light (handheld or fixed mount adjustable) onboard is a mistake in my opinion. I've used them for point nightime identification in unfamiliar waters in the past. I've also used them in real dense lobster trap fields as well and you can definately see bouys if it is mounted on your hardtop or bow area. I also agree with the radar overlay. You will likely need a heading sensor for this too.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
The OP is referring to lights like the ones on his car, i.e. "headlights" so he can see where he's going.

The use of a handheld or mounted spotlight to provide physical identification of unlighted navigation marks is acceptable if used very judiciously and carefully, so as not to shine the light on another vessel.

The use of any light continuously, or in any manner to act as "headlights" is lubberly, dangerous, and a clear violation of the COLREGS.

Lots of daylight hours in the summer, so please restrict your boating to match your knowledge and capabilities.

Brian
Master, Oceans, Steam, Motor or Sail, 1600-Tons
Chief Mate, Oceans, Unlimited
Commander, U.S. Navy (Ret)

oceanpearl

Reaction score
Sorry for the confusion,
I did not mean actual headlights. I meant a light that I can shine to see navigation marks that are unlighted as OCNSLR mentioned.

As mentioned before I do plan on going only during the day time and stopping at a marina if need be for the night.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
oceanpearl said:
Sorry for the confusion,
I did not mean actual headlights. I meant a light that I can shine to see navigation marks that are unlighted as OCNSLR mentioned.

As mentioned before I do plan on going only during the day time and stopping at a marina if need be for the night.

Glad to hear that. Hope the trip goes smoothly.

Where in VA are you headed?

oceanpearl

Reaction score
I am looking to go from Wilmington,NC towards Fairfax, VA but I think the closest marina will be Occoquan near Woodbridge.

Update: I have decided to go with the handheld spotlight, it is exactly what I was looking.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
oceanpearl said:
I am looking to go from Wilmington,NC towards Fairfax, VA but I think the closest marina will be Occoquan near Woodbridge.

Ambitious trip. About 300nm to Cape Henry, then 60nm up the Bay to Smith Point. Then another 100nm up the Potomac to Alexandria.