Hello from Texas - soon to be a GW owner

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Yes, it is. The guy was super nice and yes, appears to be clean. He is in the Woodlands and the boat is stored in Surfside. If you look at the ad, it says the trailer is “available” and so I was like, “How much is the trailer?”, dreading the increase because it would price it out of the range of going that old...

He hesitates and says, “Well, I kept that as a bargaining chip, in case someone wanted the boat cheaper..” and I was like, “Well, if it is included, no need to bargain on the price” DONE! Heh.

Yea, I could have talked him down, he could have talked me up, but we both got a good deal and can feel good about it so I am happy.

Now, I have to figure out where to find a survey person and how that will work etc :p

Like I said, WAY more boat than I needed....dreading trying to figure out how and where to store it ( I have two acres but everything depends on how well it squeezes between the garage and house and how tall it sits when on the trailer).

Thanks for the help and will update soon. Also would love to meet other GW owners in the area to learn more first hand about it.

First job will be to totally clean it top to bottom and go through everything.

Windshield wipers supposedly stopped working lol..I’ll fix those:p

Russ

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Great boat - you will definitely know it is behind your F150. Are you planning on an occasional trailering or will that be the primary way of using the boat. I would definitely check to see the engines have been checked for exhaust corrosion.

Greyduk

Reaction score
Russ, That looks great!! Good luck with the deal.

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I do not plan to leave it at the coast so yes, I will be towing. I just got the truck a couple weeks ago. Taking it in to get the electronic braking controls installed. I plan to beef up the suspension and springs and shocks and anything else I can do to increase it's towing ability.

It is a 4x4, and has a 3.55 axle ratio, so is rated at least at 9100 lbs. I think I can get it up to 10,200 with some modifications, to make it a little safer.

I plan to find a person to survey it for me, just not sure where you call for that sort of thing heh.

Also, looking at insurance options. Progressive online said like $275 a month.. blech.. heh.... but, I adjusted a lot of that stuff as some of it is way more than needed. (helps to come from an insurance family heh).

But.. is what it is.. just gotta factor it all in. Wife says it comes out of my boat allowance.. lol

R

Greyduk

Reaction score
FWIW, I have used surveyors 3 times in the last couple of years. What I did to reduce the fee was to ask them to not give a complete detailed survey, but to look specifically at the issues relating to the transom, floors,hatches etc. I did not need a written report, but their evaluation along with pictures. They used a moisture meter and their experience. I was not worried about a water test as I would do that myself. The last boat I bought was 800 miles from me so I was just trying to get enough information to go to the trouble of proceeding and figuring out the logistics.

In all three cases I was satisfied with that approach. You can do a google search for Marine surveyors in Houston for instance and you will find ones that are close. I paid about $200 in each case and I was happy with the result. This may not meet everyone's needs but along with the information I got from the owners it worked for me. And of course I had to feel that I was dealing with an honest owner.

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Very nice. Yea, this guy seems very honest, actually. The real worry, if it is any, is what he does not know about and neither of us can see. I am okay with the cost, just was not sure who to call heh.

fun times! My buddy goes, "you know... if we go down to get it.. we might need to put it in the water to see if it leaks. If we do that... we might need to take a rod or two along so we can catch a few fish... you know... to make sure they cannot escape through secret holes in the fish boxes... "

lol

Greyduk

Reaction score
I can see why he is your "Buddy". I doubt your wife would see it exactly like that !

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Now.. the debate of whether I can or should pull the 282 with my truck.

I spoke with my buddy, who is the manager of the Ford Service department, and he states that my truck can haul this boat no problem, just to not try and "gun it" when I am making turns or hills etc.. to let it run like it wants.

I am fine with that.... the warranty will cover it.. I just do not want to break anything.

R