Help! Choosing Between Boats

jrem

Reaction score
Hey Folks - I might be getting ready to purchase a used grady and wanted to get some advice.

Boat 1: 1993 246 Explorer with 2004 225 Yamaha 4 Stroke (205 hrs)
One Owner, Well Kept, Lift Kept. Fresh water flushed after each use. Professionally cleadned 4-6x yr. Minor cosmetic issues here and there, paint off bracket.
Transport Distance: 1200 Miles

Boat 2: 1995 Explorer with a 2004 250 Evinrude Direct Injection
Two Owners. Boat sat for two years around 2000. The 250 Evinrude was bought in 2006 used. ECU replaced last year
Fuel Pump Just replaced, needs o-ring or helm replaced for power steering leak.
Transport Distance: 225 Miles

Anyone have any opinions on these? Or anything that I should be asking or pay particular attention to? Boat 1 is asking about 2,000 less.

Thanks!

no problem

Reaction score
I wouldn't be comfortable with the potential repair bills for a 2004 evinrude with no warranty. Do both boats have a hardtop and comparable equipment? I drove about 1200 miles to get my Grady, a road trip like that makes for a great story. Assuming the Yamaha doesn't have the exhaust plate corrosion problem and all other things are equal I would chose that package. Just my $.02

jrem

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! Both have hard tops - I will need to double check the electronics, but I think they're about equal in that department.

If I go with the boat that's farther away, I would probably have it transported and wouldn't see it in person until it's at my marina, if that's makes any other difference.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I once bought a 190 Tournament that had sat for 2 years. I blew the engine (a 150 Johnson) within 20 hours. I think you are better off with something that has been used.

Two thoughts....one - obviously a survey and a checkout by a mechanic. 2nd, I'd find a way to jump on a plane and go see the boat. Its worth the expense of a plane ticket so that you know what you are getting.

blackgrady

Reaction score
One thing I would want to see is how that grady sits in the water with a 4 stroke on it. U really want to make sure it isn't pulling the scuppers under water. I've been working on a gulfstream that was repowered and on a bracket. The deck drains are completely under water

jrem

Reaction score
So far as it sitting, it sat before the newer engine was put on, is that less of a concern?

Theoretically, you'd think the scuppers would be ok as he'd had the boat with the 4-stroke for 6 years, but it looks like this can be an issue based on a few other threads.

Do these model years 93, 95, have the thru hull fittings issues I have also read about? How does one check to see if this has been an issue?

Anyone out there buy a boat without having seen it?

hkg4142

Reaction score
Im in the same boat as OP, get on a plane and go check out the boats! I just flew into Virginia from Ohio on Tuesday and am at the airport now to head home. Over the week I saw the boats I wanted to plus about 6 more that I saw just driving through north carolina. You want to get your eyes on the boat before paying IMO, just figure the travel expense into the cost of the boat. As for the scuppers, pretty much every Grady I have seen and sea trialed so far sit with the scuppers at or a little below the water line. This has been on both 248 and 268. These boats all had twin 150 and 200 on the 268s. Good luck and have fun, boat shopping is a good time!

jellyfish

Reaction score
go with the one with the Yamaha 4 stroke. Its a good engine. Make sure you check the corrosion problem on the engine before you buy.

uncljohn

Reaction score
no problem said:
I wouldn't be comfortable with the potential repair bills for a 2004 evinrude with no warranty. Assuming the Yamaha doesn't have the exhaust plate corrosion problem and all other things are equal I would chose that package. Just my $.02

Would you be comfortable with a 2004 Yamaha 4-S with no warranty? I'm not sure I understand your statement.

With all the posts about 4-S corrosion issues in Yamahas, I wouldn't be comfortable with that engine. But hey, I'm one of those crazy people who saved $6k by buying an OX66 instead of the 4-S.

The Evinrude boat sat for 2 years BEFORE the Evinrude was installed, so if anything, that could be a PLUS b/c its 2 less years of use on the hull.

Reaction score
I had an evinrude 175 on my tournament. Blew the power head within a month of buying the boat. Estimate to complete the repairs was over $10,000 (more was required than replacing the powerhead).

I Picked up a used 2001 Yamaha 0x66 200hp with under 500 hrs from a friend of a friend that was upgrading his pursuit to 4 strokes. The yamaha runs like a swiss watch in comparison. I've put over 100 salt water hrs on it since and Its never even hiccuped.

The other advantage of going with a yamaha is they are a lot more common and there are a lot more guys around that are trained to work on them. Where I live, there is only one evinrude shop compared to several dozen yamaha places. Makes shopping around and finding parts a hell of a lot easier.

no problem

Reaction score
uncljohn said:
no problem said:
I wouldn't be comfortable with the potential repair bills for a 2004 evinrude with no warranty. Assuming the Yamaha doesn't have the exhaust plate corrosion problem and all other things are equal I would chose that package. Just my $.02

Would you be comfortable with a 2004 Yamaha 4-S with no warranty? I'm not sure I understand your statement.

With all the posts about 4-S corrosion issues in Yamahas, I wouldn't be comfortable with that engine. But hey, I'm one of those crazy people who saved $6k by buying an OX66 instead of the 4-S.

The Evinrude boat sat for 2 years BEFORE the Evinrude was installed, so if anything, that could be a PLUS b/c its 2 less years of use on the hull.
Not to derail but since I've been called out my reasoning is as follows. there's countless evinrude direct injected engines that have no problems. Its fair to say most are sold with the promotional extended warranties for free. As the op stated this is not one of those with no problems. First owner removed it at 2 years old. Second owner had a repairs last season and this season. At 5 or 6 years old the extended warranty has probably just expired and now it's being sold again. I like the technology but as I stated in my first post "I wouldn't be comfortable with the potential repair bills for a 2004 evinrude with no warranty." Check out what people are paying for injector failures on those evinrudes. 2 years of sitting is bad for fuel tanks, new fuel pump recently, huh? Get the serial #of the Yamaha and have a dealer see whats been done under warranty. Not bashing I'm just not comfortable with a 3rd owner evinrude direct injected when a Yamaha motor of the same vintage is available. And remember you need to have the Yamaha lower unit removed and the exhaust plate scoped. If it's defective its a 6k fix. Just my $.02 Remember there's only 4 bolts holding an outboard on anyway :lol: Good luck!

jrem

Reaction score
Thanks all - You're responses have all been very helpful. I guess if I decide I like the boat farther away, i'll need to get down there and take a look first hand.

I've heard that while its very good to have marine surveyors arent always worth a whole lot. In any case - I'm guessing its good to have done if you dont know exactly what to be looking for.

I'm trying to keep my search "local" but if nothing pop's up this boat might be the right fit. I'll just need to figure out having it transported.

uncljohn

Reaction score
point taken No Problem. I am not familiar w/ 'Rudes, but am familiar w/ Yamahas and all the issues posted on THT.

jrem

Reaction score
Now - Might I be concerned about the actual condition of the gelcoat? Being that its been in Florida it's life? anything else to scare me?

Still working on getting down to see it before I start even considering writing checks.!

no problem

Reaction score
My boat came from Florida. You can compound and polish bad gelcoat to look pretty good but it will not stay that way as long. If it has canvas, install all of it to check it's condition. all the clear eisenglass (or whatever product was used) that came with mine was ruined from UV exposure. Now that I keep my boat indoors I would probably spend extra for a freshwater Michigan or Ohio boat next time. If there is a next time it will not be soon. Don't be scared, get yourself a Grady and throw some fish at it! :D

jrem

Reaction score
So I guess for me, I'm still learning and just trying to understand the importance of the gelcoat integrity. If it's been well maintained, what do i need to worry about, or do i? Is the gelcoat something that with proper maintenance upkeep and reapplication anything i need to be concerned about? Long story short, should it be a big factor in buying a 15 yr old boat from FL?

no problem said:
My boat came from Florida. You can compound and polish bad gelcoat to look pretty good but it will not stay that way as long. If it has canvas, install all of it to check it's condition. all the clear eisenglass (or whatever product was used) that came with mine was ruined from UV exposure. Now that I keep my boat indoors I would probably spend extra for a freshwater Michigan or Ohio boat next time. If there is a next time it will not be soon. Don't be scared, get yourself a Grady and throw some fish at it! :D