Help installing basemoulding around cockpit

1st grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I removed my old baseboard moulding around the cockpit on the Islander. The two pictures reveal why it was not adhearing well in the corner below the transom door. Grady cut the liner about an inch short and filled it with caulk. The adhesive strip on the back of the rubber baseboard moulding had nothing to grip to other than the silicone caulk. How can I extend the liner so that the new trim has something to grip to?
Sorry for the mess I promise to clean her up after repairing this corner.

DSC02356.jpg

DSC02357.jpg

richie rich

Reaction score
1G....that's not an easy task....I'm surprised the base moulding (I assume it is acrylic adhesive backed) actually stuck to the silicone caulk as normally only silicones stick to silicones once they're cured...maybe they stuck the moulding on while the silicone was still wet...either way, not the best scenario. To extend the glass a bit lower you'll have to grind the gel coat and lay up a few layers of glass tape and then paint it over to blend/match...the problem is...if you do it from the front, you'll have a bit of a bump or waviness and nothing to press or mold against to make a nice extension....to make it more flush, you'd need to place a backing material behind the baseboard ...somehow...and lay up against it...and then fair the front as flush as possible....maybe some thin but stiff foam epoxied in flush from behind as your base...and then glassed in with epoxy........it can be done but will take some work and ingenuity