Help removing lower unit - gear case Zuke 175 4 stroke

busterblue

Reaction score
Trying to change my impeller. The owners manual says
1) shift to neutral

2) remove 7 bolts and

3) remove gearcase from driveshaft housing.

The problem is the gearcase is not dropping free. It seems that the shift rod is not disengaging from the gearcase.

I did not remove the propeller but don't see how that could natter except for the weight.

I've tried prying it apart with a piece of wood, I am able to make a gap but it does not come free. When it comes apart the shift rod is being pulled down with the lower end (gearcase).

SUGGESTIONS?
:?:

busterblue

Reaction score
got it

apparently there is an 8th bolt under the skeg (which is removed by removing a bolt that suziki does not count). This last bolt is recessed deep under the sleg and is not noticable unless you look up into the hole under the skeg.

thanks to FLOT on THT

busterblue

Reaction score
BPM

bpm is who I ordered my parts thru; including the new impeller housing :(
Being a first timer the first engine went very slowly, reading directions from two sources and developing, stbd, a system. The good news, on inspection it appears that the stbd engine was OK, no wear,etc. we changed it out anyway. The 2nd engine everything LOOKED Ok but when we were puting the housing back on it cracked on the first crank of the torque wrench - well below the spec'd torque. Glad I did the work. we are waiting on our new housing now. Time to get into the other projects while I wait by the mailbox: bulkhead and rear cockpit wall, rewiring the batteries to a 3 battery system, gill bracket leak, cleaning and polishing..........

Off to Boston today to turn in my 100 ton master capt paperwork.