Help requested on AC installation GW300

Shamsul Hasan

Reaction score
I got my new GW 300 last week. She had a long journey from USA. I have imported a new self contained Dometic AC 6500 BTU.The boat was without a factory fitted AC. I need help in correctly placing the vents in the cabin. Advice would be most helpful. Pictures would also help.
Many Thanks.

Shamsul Hasan

Reaction score
ElyseM said:
shams,
glad it finally got there! take a look at the owner's manual for a start; there is a diagram in the appendix. gw may be able to give you more detail schematics, but this is good. good luck, ron

http://www.gradywhite.com/customer/manu ... &model=300
Ron<
Hi!! I am installing the AC as per the GW manual,appendix"Air Conditioning Layout and Assembly". I am,however, not able to figure out the the exact placement of AC vent and the return vent.I wish i could get a picture of the location of vents in the Cabin. Just dont want to cut holes in my cabin interior without being sure of the location.

el jefe

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
If this is a Marlin, there are two blower (cold air out) vents. One is located in the aft berth on the port side bulk head. The other, on my 2005, is located on the small bulkhead in the galley area facing toward the bow. It's just above above the small locker behind the sink and cook top. The ac panel is right next to it. For the return, it is located under the steps. So you can see there is a straight line conceptually for the air vent, return, air vent.

Shamsul Hasan

Reaction score
el jefe said:
If this is a Marlin, there are two blower (cold air out) vents. One is located in the aft berth on the port side bulk head. The other, on my 2005, is located on the small bulkhead in the galley area facing toward the bow. It's just above above the small locker behind the sink and cook top. The ac panel is right next to it. For the return, it is located under the steps. So you can see there is a straight line conceptually for the air vent, return, air vent.
Thanks!!
Yes,it is a Marlin 300 2008. I get a hang of it now. I know its going to be a bother,but if I could have some pictures it will greatly help me.
Many Thanks
Cheers!!!!

ahill

Reaction score
I did an after market Dometic install on my Sailfish thru my long time great Grady dealer. Just spent this weekend in Homestead, FL marina correcting the raw water pump installation problems.
My ac unit is under the galley. Return air in aft cabin bulkhead adjacent to stairs. AC supplies in port side aft cabin and top step riser in cabin. Also a small supply in fwd bulkhead of head. It is fed by a duct from the unit around all the under vee berth storage compartments. I would've come from the aft cabin to the head. The raw water pump was mounted under the cabin sole next to the shower sump. BAD PLACE! for 4 more feet of hose it could have been mounted in the cavern under the aft berth. If I have another problem with mine, that's where it will go.
The installer only seated the pvc fittings by 1/3 thread with teflon tape. After 3 years leaks started. Further he did not screw in the rear mounting screws on the pump causing it to vibrate and make nasty noises. I bought a 90 deg drill fitting at Harbor Freight and found the center of one mounting grommets blind, drilled and installed screw with a stubby screwdriver.
Now, no leaks and the system is quiter than ever.
If you consider adding ac to your boat and are somewhat handy, do it yourself. Think it thru and spend the time necessary. You'll get a better job. Maybe sub out the electrical. If you trailer and want a high speed inlet scoop mount it behind the fwd trailer crossmember.
I will be reviewing this with my dealer.

Shamsul Hasan

Reaction score
ahill said:
I did an after market Dometic install on my Sailfish thru my long time great Grady dealer. Just spent this weekend in Homestead, FL marina correcting the raw water pump installation problems.
My ac unit is under the galley. Return air in aft cabin bulkhead adjacent to stairs. AC supplies in port side aft cabin and top step riser in cabin. Also a small supply in fwd bulkhead of head. It is fed by a duct from the unit around all the under vee berth storage compartments. I would've come from the aft cabin to the head. The raw water pump was mounted under the cabin sole next to the shower sump. BAD PLACE! for 4 more feet of hose it could have been mounted in the cavern under the aft berth. If I have another problem with mine, that's where it will go.
The installer only seated the pvc fittings by 1/3 thread with teflon tape. After 3 years leaks started. Further he did not screw in the rear mounting screws on the pump causing it to vibrate and make nasty noises. I bought a 90 deg drill fitting at Harbor Freight and found the center of one mounting grommets blind, drilled and installed screw with a stubby screwdriver.
Now, no leaks and the system is quiter than ever.
If you consider adding ac to your boat and are somewhat handy, do it yourself. Think it thru and spend the time necessary. You'll get a better job. Maybe sub out the electrical. If you trailer and want a high speed inlet scoop mount it behind the fwd trailer crossmember.
I will be reviewing this with my dealer.

Hi!!! Thanks!! You have really taken a lot of trouble to help me.. I will install the AC myself,am quite handy that way.Did you take the fridge out and installed the AC unit behind it under the galey and re-fixed the fridge back in place??

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
on my 330, the bulkhead in the mid-berth behind the steps is a removable panel. full access to the a/c is from there. don't know how the 300 is laid out. ron

ahill

Reaction score
Yes, take out the fridge and replace when complete.
Also my thermostat is in the galley bulkhead facing forward at port berth