help-tilt n trim,dosn't always go up

ray leonard

Reaction score
i have a 2 stroke yamaha 200 hpdi.the power tnt dosn't always go up,however it always goes down.today i engaged the up butto 5-6 times before it went up.tried with both binnacle control n button on motor.any help appreciated.

sprockets

Reaction score
When you use the button on the engine, do you hear a click sound from the starboard side of the engine? I had to replace the trim relay switch on my 2003 200 HPDI. The click sound led to a quick diagnosis without further testing. The part was around $250, it took me about 30 minutes to replace and I am not mechanically inclined.

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Sounds like the trim button in the binnacle might be corroded. I have the same problem but will take it apart and clean once the weather cools.

ray leonard

Reaction score
yes sprockets im hearing a clicking sound,where exactly is the relay switch ?

sprockets

Reaction score
It is part number 14 on the schematic here: http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Yamah ... parts.html

There may be a way to confirm this is what's wrong, but when I had the same issue, this is what I was told by Andy at Shipyard Island Marine. He is a vendor over on THT. He gave me the confidence to do it myself and it really wasn't that bad. I just took a couple of good pictures before I started so I had a reference when putting it back together. It did fix the problem.

The part is on the starboard side of the engine, behind a plastic cover. I might have the old one sitting out in the garage if you want me to take a picture of it.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Pop the cover off and swap the two relays...if the motor goes up fine but gets cranky about going down, it's the relay.

More than likely,if the problem occurs at both the binnacle and the motor mounted switch, this is where the issue is.

ray leonard

Reaction score
thanks for all replys:would anyone know if a relay from a 2001 225 saltwater series would work on a 2000 200 hp hpdi ?

sprockets

Reaction score
I have no idea, but you can go to the boats.net site and compare the part numbers.