Help with a wire Splicing Job

Roadworker

Reaction score
I made a big mistake and cut my Speed sensor cable yesterday. Now i gonna try to splice it back together.

Question is What is the fine metal like wires wrapped around the other 3 wires ?

It has 3 basic colors i know to splice but what has to be done with the fine metal wires?

Thanks all

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
That's the shield, and I believe it is only connected to ground at the display unit, and not at the sensor end. So leaving it unconnected will probably not cause any problems due to noise (interference) from adjacent wiring.

That being said, I would still splice it back together. To do that, you have several choices. If there is enough slack to peel the shield back on both wires (away from the ends), then splice the ends color for color, and then bring the shields back toward each ether. Overlap one on top of the other, and heat-shrink or tape-wrap the splice.

You can also take some fine, stranded, tinned wire and over-wrap the shield from one side of the splice, ocer the spliced wires and then to the other shield.

That should put everything back to working the way it did. There are other ways to splice shields that involve some wire-weaving and soldering, but this should work fine.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Splice the wires, cover all with aluminum foil, heat shrink over the entire repair, will last forever (unless you cut it again) ... :wink:

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
I would think i cover each splice first then put the foil over .

"Splice the wires" is certainly open to individual technique, and precedes "cover all with aluminum foil" ... :wink: