Help with removing Center hydraulic ram on 03 f225

jskylar

Reaction score
My center lift ram was leaking so I purchased new unit from Andy at Simm's. I have the lift complete lift mechanism removed and the center rod the holds the ram to the unit on the bottom has a circlip that I removed, but I can't get the shaft out. It appears that it can only be removed from the side where the clip was, and the other end is a little smaller and has no clip. Does this need to be pressed out? Last project before I put back in the water to give everything a test.

jethro99

Reaction score
jskylar said:
My center lift ram was leaking so I purchased new unit from Andy at Simm's. I have the lift complete lift mechanism removed and the center rod the holds the ram to the unit on the bottom has a circlip that I removed, but I can't get the shaft out. It appears that it can only be removed from the side where the clip was, and the other end is a little smaller and has no clip. Does this need to be pressed out? Last project before I put back in the water to give everything a test.

Is the power trim and tilt mechanism removed from the motor or not? You say that it is but then you say you can't get the tilt piston pin (the one with the circlip) out. If the pin is not removed the ptt mechanism can't be removed.

The normal procedure would be to position the motor to the full up tilt position and use the tilt lock lever to hold it there. Then, remove the circlip that holds the pin in place. The pin will then slide out of the tilt piston. A hole is cast into the midsection so the pin can be removed. You might have to jockey with the trim switch to remove any load there may be on the tilt piston. The pin is not pressed into place. Once any load is removed it will come out with just a little bit of finger pressure.

Once the pin is removed, fully retract both the tilt piston and the trim pistons. Disconnect the electrical harness from the relay and pull it all out of the engine pan. Unbolt the bolts holding the assembly in place and the entire ptt mechanism will simply slide out from between the clamp brackets.

You can then proceed to remove the tilt piston cap.

jskylar

Reaction score
Help, removing center piston on PTT

I have done most of what you said, but did not retract the piston and trim shafts or disconnect the power connection. Where I'm at is trying to remove the bottom shaft to the center piston, it had on circlip (snap ring) on the left side but the shaft will not budge. Is in necessary to retract the pistons before removing the lower shaft? Thanks for your post.

jethro99

Reaction score
Re: Help, removing center piston on PTT

jskylar said:
I have done most of what you said, but did not retract the piston and trim shafts or disconnect the power connection. Where I'm at is trying to remove the bottom shaft to the center piston, it had on circlip (snap ring) on the left side but the shaft will not budge. Is in necessary to retract the pistons before removing the lower shaft? Thanks for your post.

I don't know what you mean by "bottom shaft to the center piston". The piston is the part that comes out of the cylinder. At the top of the piston is a pin that attaches the piston to the motor. That pin has a circlip holding it in place. Is that what you are talking about?

If the ptt assembly has been unbolted then you should be able to raise the assembly up somewhat to remove the load from the pin. The pin should then just slide out. If not, put a socket on the pin and then tap the socket with a hammer and the pin will slide out.

jskylar

Reaction score
I'm sorry I didn't explain what I meant by" bottom shaft on center piston". I was referring to the horizontal pin that holds the lower part of the cylinder to the bracket.

I took Andy's advice (Simm's Yamaha) and tried a bigger hammer to knock the pin out and it finally started to move. I did not realize by pounding on the pin I was actually compressing it on the end which made it harder to get out. It finally came out and I was able to dress up the pin and clean everything up and it went back together real easy.

Thanks to those who offered help, when you not quite sure how something comes apart, it helps to get others opinions. It will be back in the water this week and I'll get to try out my 4 blade power tech props I just installed after tune up and new impellers.

Jim