Heres One: My Cabin has/had a visitor: RACOON

johnnyboy

Reaction score
Hey guys, been a while since i've posted but heres one for all of you:

Went on my boat last week, saw some pretty large foot prints on my boat and said oh no.

Saw the tracks running over to the side gunnels and to no surprise, opened my cabin, saw some more foot prints atop of the sink and aft berth area. (Mind you I have a 272 sailish)

Me and my pops took a look but no sign of racoon there.

No I do not have any food inside the boat or anything of interest. I didn't have any damage such as the racoon ripping crap up or what not but no sign of him or hopefeully he wasn't hiding well. I have learned if there is no food or anything of interest, they'll come in and leave right away.

Question: Anyone use a method as a screen of some sort to stop them from entering the gunnel? Any one know of products that keep racoons or rats away? Thanks for the help !!!

:jaw

ctcbtr

Reaction score
opened anchor locker last year and a big racoon rolled out on the bunks , someone told me moths ball run them off but found out he would walk over them to get in the cabin he lived there during day time , the only way to stop him was to cut and put wire ( chicken? wire the kind with like 3/8 inch squares) under gunel , he moved to a 24 grady next door after that

johnnyboy

Reaction score
Obviously each of these animals act differently but did that racoon try attacking you or just ran off. My fear is one of them going nuts. Also, how'd yours get into the anchor locker without entering boat? Sounds like a smart one

CatTwentyTwo

Reaction score
No trouble with raccoons yet but I found out the darn cat was getting into the cabin this past winter, I found several piles of dried up gopher guts in there this spring. I shoved a large plastic water jug up under the gunnel and haven't had any more problems so far.

Slipperhead

Reaction score
Funny....I just registered for the site and this first thread is right up my alley!

I have learned to not keep food, even unopened food, on the boat whatsoever. This also includes Berkeley Gulps and other stinky baits. Coons have been in my boat many times (I'm sure) while sitting on the trailer. Also, rats have come aboard while tied up at the dock.

I've tried trapping the locals on the property where I keep the boat and there seems to be no end to them. If I lived closer to the property, I would wage a war with them!

In looking at how they get in, I can see there is an ample opening under the aft end of the gunwale and perhaps another under the forward end.

Here is what I'm going to do. I'm going to try to coon-proof the aft end by installing a stiff screen of some sort. There is a flat clean surface to attach it to. I'm guessing this opening also helps to ventilate the bilge so I don't want to shut it off with a solid sheet.

I'm looking for a better idea if anyone can come up with one. Critters can sure make a mess in your cabin!

Garland Hanson
Midlothian, VA

CWOT

Reaction score
Neighbor had her cat bring a large 4 foot water snake in through the cat door and lay it on her pillow, it was still alive and she was still awake.

ctcbtr

Reaction score
on my sailfish 252 there is a small space on the left and rt side where the hull curves up and the walkaround deck meet he can shimmy from cock pit to anchor locker without getting in the cabin. I found this out on afternoon trying to figure out how he got up there and seen his foot hanging down from headliner carpet on side of cabin wall thru that space. i touched his foot and he went nuts