HiltonHead boathouse?

BCLII

Reaction score
I'm going to be traveling down there the first week in Feb for a sea trial and possible purchase of a used Grady. They seem pleasant to talk too, just looking for any comments anyone had about them. Boat will be brought back here to the midwest.
thanks

1bigfish

Reaction score
Check the bottom for forklift damage. The local surveyor is Bob Dolce 843-384-9945. Well spent money.

BCLII

Reaction score
We put a deposit down on a 205. The sale is contingent on a marine survey. just was not sure if I make that arrangement or them. Thank you for the number, I will give him a call. Also thanks for the tip on fork lift damage on the bottom of the hull. This dry dock, and whole saltwater thing is all new to me. All freshwater up here. Anything else to be aware of? My local Yamaha dealer says motor will be fine as long as it was taken care of from the environment.
thanks,
byron

christo15

Reaction score
Make sure the boat is internally sound. My friend had a grady where raccoons had actually gotten in the boat and chewed up the foam material between the deck and hull and made a home. This is actually common and just make sure not to miss it.

BCLII

Reaction score
Is the survey normally conducted while we are present on site? Any other things to be looking at with a salt water boat?
Again thanks guys, we greatly appreciate all the input! This site has a world of great information on it, as GW boat owners/fisherman come together to help one another through the love of their own knowledge and experiences.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
You pay the surveyor...he works for you.

He/she will send you a full report. There is no need to be on site. Get his report...make sure everything checks out...go down..sea trial...close the deal and bring it home.

Are you buying a trailer through HH Boathouse or elsewhere? Make sure you buy plenty of trailer...the 205 is a heavy boat. ( I owned one....it's north of 5K on the trailer.)

Daman858

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Trailer......in South Carolina, title and license plate are not needed. Make sure you get the required paper work for your state or you will have problems if your state requires tag and title. The boat and the motor each have a separate title in SC.

BCLII

Reaction score
Parthery said:
You pay the surveyor...he works for you.

He/she will send you a full report. There is no need to be on site. Get his report...make sure everything checks out...go down..sea trial...close the deal and bring it home.

Are you buying a trailer through HH Boathouse or elsewhere? Make sure you buy plenty of trailer...the 205 is a heavy boat. ( I owned one....it's north of 5K on the trailer.)

Buying the trailer from them, same trailer another dealer that also had a 205, was going to put under it. Its a Wesco AL-2150T Ultra Series with a 5000 lb caring capacity. GW customer service told me through emails, boat has a max. weight allowed at 4200 lbs. therefore, Because of variances in boat weight due to options and additional equipment, we strongly recommend adding an
additional 15% to the maximum weight rating of the trailer. 4200 x 15%= 630
Anyone familiar with these trailers, it looked nice from the picture I saw of it.
thanks

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
X2 on the Wesco trailer.

My 205 had a 5000 lb capacity Continental tandem aluminum trailer. It was plenty of trailer.

Good luck...

BCLII

Reaction score
Thanks guys on the trailer comments, talked to marine surveyor Bob Dolce this week. He said he will send me my survey report next week. Looking forward to receiving that, before heading down to SC for our sea trail. we have never road in a GW, just sat in a couple of them and really liked what we saw. Looking to make the trip in a comfortable 7 days provided the weather holds up to let us get back here to the frozen tundra. Minus 8 this morning. As long as we will be down in HHI, SC for a couple of days, any recommendations in where one might stay and/or some place to visit? I know our trip is short and there is alot to see there.
thanks

JiminGA

Reaction score
We are in HHI a lot - and will be moving the Grady there pretty soon.

Check out villa rentals on this site: http://www.coastalhhi.com/

I'd suggest a villa on the north end if you want to be close to where your boat is. You can rent place for a few days - no need to book for a full week unless you want to.

Your boat is on the north end of the island. You'll be coming onto the island on Hwy 278 which comes off I-95. Right after you come off the bridge onto the island on Hwy 278, take a left at the 1st traffic light. Stay straight on that road for a mile or 2 - you'll come to a traffic circle - continue straight around the traffic circle and then you'll see the HHI boathouse on your left about 1/2 mile further - you can't miss it - there will be numerous boats (Gradys and Parkers) for sale right there as you turn in.

Lots of places to eat on the island. One of our absolute favorites is the Boathouse Restaurant right there where your boat is. They have awesome food - very fresh and affordable. They have a great patio and outside bar if the weather is good. It looks right out onto the intracoastal waterway.

Feel free to pm me if you have other questions. Good luck on yout inspection and seatrial!