holding tank sending unit

boslaw

Reaction score
does anyone know if grady ever included a holding tank fuel sender as standard? I bought a 1997 grady 208, and the fuel sender seems to be bad. I pulled the sender today to measure for a new one and was surprised to find a holding tank sender. No markings on the sender and the wiring harness looks to be standard to the boat.

In any event, are holding tank senders better, worse or the same as any other sending unit? Need to decide what to buy.

Thanks

grady23

Reaction score
I'm not sure what your asking for --- A sender for the holding tank or a sender for the fuel tank???
Any how I buy ALL my senders from WEMA. Very reasonably priced and very reliable.
http://www.wemausa.com/

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Wema.

And get the right sender length from Grady Customer Service, don't measure what you have.

boslaw

Reaction score
Thanks. I believe a "holding tank" sender is a kind of sender that can be used in the gas tank or holding tank - Wema actually sells them. They are based on a tube with a float inside. My sender doesn't work properly so I pulled it and it seems to be this kind of sender. I was just wondering if this was factory or aftermarket (I bought the boat used).

I've ordered a wema unit (not a holding tank model) and we'll see how that works.

boslaw

Reaction score
thanks. Wema sells both. I believe the float on the inside is for holding tanks (not gas) but it looks like the previous boat owner had a holding tank sender in the gas tank (may be why it wasn't working properly).

I ordered the new sender from Wema, and didn't realize that the old sender had a much thicker cap. When I tried to screw in the new sender, the screws were much longer than they needed to be, and one screw head snapped off while tightening. Now I've got to buy new screws and try to get the snapped one out. It's never easy. . .

grady23

Reaction score
There was a post relating to this same thing --- Turns out the screws he was sent were METRIC and the original tap was SAE thus causing the screws to bind and break.