home made live well

GT

Reaction score
My 226 doesnt have a live well, so I want to rig one up. Anybody ever done similar? I'm thinking of a small plastic garbage can - maybe 20-25 gallons, with three holes drilled into it. One for the inlet (connect directly to SW washdown), and another for a gravity drain and another for a bilge pump drain.
Basic questions I have: should inlet be high medium or low; should outlet be anywhere but directly at bottom, and because I think want a pump for quick drainage any good suggestions to wire one up other than alligator clips to the battery?
I'm an inshore and 3-5 mile offshore fisherman. the well will generally hold small baitfish as well as porgies, bunker, herring, shad.

gradytom

Reaction score
I know a couple of guys that used the trash can method.

They had a pvc tube fresh water pickup mounted to the transom conected to a hose near the top for filling/refreshing while running, an overflow/overboard drain hose several inches from the top and bottom valve for emtying.
No batteries required best I recall
Worked great, just remember to tie off the lid.

I've come across several trash can lids floating offshore and have always found mahi schooling underneath.

easy useful project

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
livewell

be sure that you get either a livewell pump or a dual purpose livewell/washdown pump. livewell pumps are designed for continuous operation whereas a washdown pump is designed for short bursts. you'll torch a washdown pump in a livewell application.

Reactions: edward

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
We have the Kodiak 32 mounted on quick tabs in front of the motor. It works way good, easy to put in or take out, and actually keeps bait alive.

Shop here for tanks, parts, and how-to's on live wells:
www.livebaitlarry.com
Larry is a tremenous source with lots of product, good prices, and fast shipping.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
I use a 35 gal barrel, used a fitting kit to plumb overflow to a scupper, inlet to the washdown fitting. I use a Shurflo Pro Baitmaster, it's designed for continuous unrestricted flow (bait well) and intermittent pressure duty (wash down) and has worked great for my set up ... :wink:

HMBJack

Reaction score
If you had a Bayliner - do the garbage can thing. But since this is a GW, why not simply install a Kodiak Bait Tank and plumb the feed and drain over the transom? You could keep it portable such that you remove it when not in use (via a few phillips screws). Or, perhaps you can convert one of your fish boxes into a livewell. This s/b easy since this is what the factory does and you already have a through hull fitting (drain) there. All you need is the water source and the plenum drain tube.

One good source for livewells + pumps, hoses and parts is "Livebaitlarry.com"

Good luck

Bob's Cay

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Let me see if I can explain a set up I came up with on a tank that worked for me and was very flexible.

Started with an oval tank that held about 30 to 40 gallons.

Set an overflow fitting near the top of the tank that was connected to a hose and directed over the transom.

The inlet was also at the top, slightly above the overflow. On the inside of the tank I had a PVC elbow, a section of pipe, and another elbow. This section would fit over the inlet and direct the water to the bottom of the tank.

The inlet was supplied by a regular bilge pump and a length of hose. The bilge pump has alligator clips to attach to the battery. The hose was long enough to hang over the transom.

To operate I had several options. Typically while at dock or trolling I would set the pump in the water and have the outlet diverted by the PVC section to the bottom of the tank. This would force the water up and out the drain. When moving long distances at speed I would lift the pump out of the water and set it in the tank. The PVC section would be removed and the system would recycle water from the bottom and spray it at the surface.