Hour meters

thunder3535

Reaction score
Hey Guys, looking at a used Grady. It has original twin Yamahas. There is only one hour meter. Is that normal? I was under the impression that there was one for each motor.
Also, I plan on having a mechanic look over the motors but is a survey neccesary? I know it probably a good idea but its pretty expensive and what is he gonna find that the mechanic wont? The boat is a 96.
Thanks

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Don't know what's up with 1-hr meter. Is it digital? If so maybe there's a switch to go back and forth.

Gotta agree about the engine survey. I paid a Yam dealer $450 to survey the 200's on my F26. He changed the LU oil, and pressure tested the LU and did a compression check. That was it! Not sure, but if during the sea trial, the motors meet max RPM, wonder if the motors are good? Pull the bottom drain plugs out of the LU and if no water are you good? As far as marine surveyors. I haven't been impressed by any. They make sure everything powers up and rap on the hull & topsides with a plastic mallet. Now it may be worth asking a surveyor if they have a moisture meter. Now THAT may be worth the cost of the survey.

seasick

Reaction score
If the meter or meters are external to the motor, I don't pay any attention to the numbers, period.
Have the motors checked and see if the owner has maintenance logs or trip logs.

Fishshoreman

Reaction score
Anyone can hook up a hourmeter. As a matter of fact I am installing one for each engine in my boat now. I had the engines scanned and used a deep cycle battery to run up the time the scans recorded. THing is if the seller isn't an honest person they can stop the clock whenever they want.

I didn't pay a surveyor to look at my boat. Should I have? I don't know yet but I am confident in my ability to fix most things. It may take me time but I enjoy working on my own toys.

Good luck with your decision.

seasick

Reaction score
Fishshoreman said:
Anyone can hook up a hourmeter. As a matter of fact I am installing one for each engine in my boat now. I had the engines scanned and used a deep cycle battery to run up the time the scans recorded. THing is if the seller isn't an honest person they can stop the clock whenever they want.

I didn't pay a surveyor to look at my boat. Should I have? I don't know yet but I am confident in my ability to fix most things. It may take me time but I enjoy working on my own toys.

Good luck with your decision.

If the following is true then you don't need a surveyor:
If the boat turns out to be total junk, no big deal, I can afford the $$$$.
Yes it cost me a lot more to get it running than I expected but heck it's only money.
I was hoping to get it on the water sooner but it's only been 3 years!
So it sank. I had my PFD.
I wanted new motors anyway.

Otherwise, a survey would be advisable:)