How easy to get to the speakers and stereo?

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Just sitting at work and planning my week.. heh. How easy is it to run new speaker wire in the GW boats?

I think there are 2 speakers in the cockpit, 2 forward of the v-berth... and maybe 2 by the entrance to the cabin? I cannot remember.. heh

no more than 6, I assume.

Curious how easy to get to the wires etc.

My thought is... take the current stereo out all together. Replace the wired remove in the dash with a Boss stereo... and re-use the speakers currently installed, just run new wires to them.

R

imjus4u2nv

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Just sitting at work and planning my week.. heh. How easy is it to run new speaker wire in the GW boats?

I think there are 2 speakers in the cockpit, 2 forward of the v-berth... and maybe 2 by the entrance to the cabin? I cannot remember.. heh

no more than 6, I assume.

Curious how easy to get to the wires etc.

My thought is... take the current stereo out all together. Replace the wired remove in the dash with a Boss stereo... and re-use the speakers currently installed, just run new wires to them.

R
Why new wires to the speakers? If wire can be pulled, can tie new wire or rope to existing wires. Sorry not familiar woth your boats setup.

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I am using the existing speakers, but not replacing the stereo in the same place. I plan to run the wires to the console instead as the new stereo is small and sits there.

imjus4u2nv

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I am using the existing speakers, but not replacing the stereo in the same place. I plan to run the wires to the console instead as the new stereo is small and sits there.
Got it, not sure how much help I can be, but I. the 208, I had no existing radio, and had to utilize the access panel/deck plate in the cabin to run wire down from the dash *used a fishing sinker and string to drop a line down to snake it) and the one near the drivers feet, was able to use the tube/pvc that runs from starboard to port to get wire to port side access panel, from there took some thinking and inspecting to get it up into the gunwhale. When looking in the port access panel, and also was able to look in the hatch under my seat in the cabin, i had a small gap (not sure if supposed to be there) between floor to snake the wire. A flashlight in the floor while looking around helps to find some access.
Again this was all for the 208, so not sure if helpful. I mounted speakers (box) under the gunwhale and and next to passenger and driver, I will upload some pics tomorrow - been meaning to do a write up.
I also am using a boss radio, and it is loud and no issues so far.

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Sorry for the slow response.

Always a help.. no matter what. Even if all we do is talk it through, I love the input ;)

Thanks for taking the time to reply and give input:) I just need to get in there, get my fish wire, and start running them :)

Russ

dogdoc

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
My new/old boat has only one of the many speakers working. In my plan to work on wiring I am starting in the back and working forward. I was however thinking about the radio a bit and since most speakers do not work the radio itself looks factory and not what i would want, I was thinking of bluetooth speakers as an alternative and use our phones as the source of music. As for am/fm/weather I would suppose there is a bluetooth option there as well. Anyone done this?
Thanks