How much for an 89 228 seafarer?

Joelsk15

Reaction score
Im looking to buy an 228 seafarer. I live in washington state and there is an 1989 228 hardtop for sale priced at $19,500. It comes with radar and all your other standard electronics, trailer, 1989 200 yamaha with 700 hrs, and 9.9 yamaha for stroke (1989). I'm just wondering if that is a fair price. It seems to me that here in Washington used grady's sell for $10,000 over thier bluebook value, while on the East coast they sell for right around thier bluebook value. Anyway, $20,000 seems a little steep for a 1989, but I could be wrong.

VeroWing

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
That does seem to be priced a little high, but on the other hand, if it is an example of an early Seafarer in exceptional condition, then the asking price may be appropriate.. To me, that boat and motor would have to appear and perform like new. The electronics would have to be high quality and relatively new, and the trailer in new condition.
Just my opinion.

gwwannabe

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I agree with Vero. If you like the boat, have it surveyed and the engine checked out by a certified Yami pro. You might also ask the seller how he arrived at his asking price.

Regarding Bluebook value, everything I've looked at the last 5 years has been priced above, sometimes way above, so-called book value. It seems to have little correlation to market value. I pay more attention to how a boat is priced relative to the others on the market and adjust for equipment differences.

Gary 89 Overnighter - soon 93 Gulfstream

Joelsk15

Reaction score
grady 228

Hey, thanks for the input guys. The boats on blooddecks I have already glanced at. They are just a bit out of my price range. I want to spend about 20k. I know that is not a whole lot for a 228 Grady so I am actually considering buying a mid grade 22' WA like a pro line, sea pro, Aquasport, Hydra-sports, wellcraft, or olympic. But, I really want a Grady. Any opinions, or tips on boats for sale would be helpful. By the way, I just sold a 1984 20' trophy. The boat was set up amazing for a 20', it felt like 22' but, it had an inboard and road no better than my Dads 18' olympic (which rides nicer than any 18' I have ever been in).

dockerduk

Reaction score
1989 228 Seafarer

I just bought a 1989 228 Seafarer in Michigan. I paid $18,500 plus tax and registration. This boat was exclusively fresh water and kept inside on the trailer between trips. Has a 225 Johnson 2 stroke, and a 9.9 yamaha 4-stroke plus electronics. The EZ loader trailer is in great condition. I paid to have a complete survey, and it checked out very well. We don't have alot of Grady's in Michigan, and the surveyor commented a couple of times about how well built the boat was. I was a little hesitant about paying so much over "blue book," but I kept looking and couldn't find a better boat for that amount.
I love the boat! We just brought in a limit of walleye the day before yesterday, from Saginaw Bay (Lake Huron). We fished all day in 4 footers, and occasionally bigger, and it did great! Four foot waves are normally much more punishing in the Great Lakes than in the ocean, and the boat performed great. It is a VERY seaworthy boat! Top Speed with the 225 2 stroke seems to be about 42 m.p.h..
If this boat is in EXCELLENT condition, my advice would be to talk him down a couple of thousand and go for it. Good Luck!

uncljohn

Reaction score
Don't be afraid of a boat w/ 2- strokes. (see "Yamaha exhaust corrosion" on THT). It will take 15-20 years to recoup the extra cost of a 4-S in fuel savings.

I bought my 1988 228 for $10,500 7 years ago. It had the original Yamaha w/ about 500 hrs on it. No hardtop. Old electronics. Some water intrusion. NOT freshwater.

I repowered w/ a new 2003 Yam OX66 in 2006 which cost me another $10K.

So I'd say for $20K that boat should have relatively new power or be in pristeen condition. Seems high to me w/ a 20 year old engine.

Grouper Duper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The performance numbers for that one with the Suzuki surprise me. I get 45 mph with my 2-stroke OX66 225, and still see a tad over 2nmpg. Mine might be for sale later this year; I'm shopping for a 257 Advance.

Of course the top-end speed and 2nmpg don't come at the same time!

bigk23surf

Reaction score
20K seems way over priced to me. I was thinking of selling mine and its a 94 with a 06 F225 and a new trailer and I was going to asked low 20's. You might want to think about buying one on the east coast and shipping it.

Joelsk15

Reaction score

I did a little searching on this site and saw some 228's that sold for around 20k that were far newer and had fewer hours than the 89 I saw here in washington. So I agree with you bigk23surf. Are you still thinking about selling your boat?