How often does everyone replace their batteries?

Reel Soon

Reaction score
I just topped off my 3 starting batteries and fully charged them, three years and no problems yet. I was just wondering how often everyone replaces their batteries?

freddy063

Reaction score
I was told every 3 years, but why change out someting thats still good. This is a thing I installed last year, http://www.prioritystart.com/ps_marine.html so I'll allways had at lease one out of the 3 good. I have it on the accessory battary, also help protect my electronics due to low voltage.

Boats Rock

Reaction score
I agree 3 years. But I carry a small jumper box that has a power port for plugging a light into it. And it saved my bacon last summer 20 miles offshore. Weather was getting bad. Starboard engine cranked very slow but would not start. Port engine no crank. And radio and radar stopped. Jumped both engines and got going and had to leave jumper box connected to have radar and radio. Found the main ground post corroded. I paid less than 100 bucks for the jumper box and it looks like a small laptop with a handle.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
I have two that I run in a main/reserve config. I keep connections clean and tight, rotate usage, and I only pull and test a batt when there's an indication that it's not 100% ... :wink:

NIGHTIDES

Reaction score
3 years no matter what. Cheap insurance that my rig will light everytime I turn the key.

gerrys

Reaction score
3 years on the starting batteries. It gets ugly offshore when you've been fishing all day only to hear the slow grind of a motor that won't turn fast enough to start.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
.. only to hear the slow grind of a motor that won't turn fast enough to start.

That's what position #2 and/or BOTH is for ... :wink:

gerrys

Reaction score
Curmudgeon said:
.. only to hear the slow grind of a motor that won't turn fast enough to start.

That's what position #2 and/or BOTH is for ... :wink:

I personally don't want to get to that stage. Your choice. Battery selections are few and it gets expensive shopping for batteries in the Bahamas. I'd rather plan for no failures.

jehines3

Reaction score
I replace mine when cranking is degraded after the boat has sat a few days.

My two starting batteries are completley isolated from each other and the house/electronics. I have nothing on them but a bilge pump on one. I don't run any electronics off either start battery, period, on any boat I've owned. If it starts before I leave the dock than it will start for the rest of the day. I've stopped leaving the charger plugged in for days on end since a good battery will hold a good starting charge for weeks on end. A charger fed battery may show good at the dock but have been at a high charge rate right before unplugging the cord and give a false condition assesment.

It's just how I run mine and no guarantee of performance for anyone else. You will see the price of batteries get higher as lead is becomming more costly. My emergency parallel is just that for emergency use only. BEP has even made these yellow on new models.

BatteryCompartment.jpg

downtown

Reaction score
battery switches

john, how do you set your battery switches. i have four batteries and originally set the batteries switches as per factory rec, but my mechanic switched it for some reason. i think now they are all switched to 1 and 2.

jehines3

Reaction score
Downtown, with the BEP system, all switches are two position "On" or "Off"

Each battery runs indepentantly. When the motors are running the Charging relay closes and charges the house (I have a 4D). During an engine start the battery automatically isolates to keep the electronics from seeing the voltage sag and rebooting. I had a three switch set-up for three batteries and it was a joke to ask anyone to turn the batteries since it was too complicated to know when you were on what battery. The emergency parallel is just as it says, emergency only, the new BEP set-up make that switch yellow now. jh

HMBJack

Reaction score
I have the Blue Seas Automatic Charging Relay (ACR) set-up which isolates the starting battery from the house battery if either battery drops below 12.5 volts (I think). I also use a Guest three stage smart trickle charger which is only unplugged when the boat leaves the dock. Two to three times a year, I also check, with a hydrometer, the gravity level (charging state) of the acid in each cell of the two group 27's I have. Distilled water goes in where needed. Lastly, I have a T8 kicker that will get me home if for some reason I can't start my F225 with both batteries combined (though it might take a while depending on where I am when the failure occurs).

All of that said - I will probably change out my batteries after the third or fourth year of usage but time will tell. So far, I have two years of usage on my batteries and the hydrometer says they're perfect.

Seahunter

Reaction score
The only 2 batteries I've ever had fail on me outright. One was a 14 month old Optima and the other was a 9 month old Exide. Both where replaced under pro-rated warranties but the point is that batteries don't fail after a determined amount of time. Replacing them every X number of months and thinking your safe is a waste of money.

I have a 7 moth old and a 6 year old Delco Voyager on the boat right now. Both where load tested 2 weeks ago and found to be in good condition. The 6 years old battery will not be replaced until it fails load test or starts to act suspicious.

Brad1

Reaction score
I try to get 4 yrs out of my batteries. Just bought a new one last week to replace the 2nd (of the two) batteries that came with my boat when I bought it from the dealership. Replaced the 1st one last year. Ideally, I like to stagger the replacement amongst the dual batteries. That way, I'll always have one battery that is no more than 2 yrs old. Won't be on that cycle now because one is new and one is a year old. But the battery I just replaced wouldn't take a charge.