HPS error on A/C unit (360)

pablor

Reaction score
Hi

During my trip with the boat we developed an error most times we ran the A/C in cool mode (not in heat or vent mode). The display read HPS. I looked it up and it said that the water intake is blocked causing high pressure of freon. I checked the seacock and it was open, pump was running and a steady stream of water was coming out of the port side of the boat. It does not list any other possible problems. The boat sat for a couple of years without use. Anybody thinks that there is growth in the water intake lines? How do I get rid of it for water to flow better. Could it be something else?

Thanks in advance

gerrys

Reaction score
I AM ASSUMING YOU ARE GETTING A GOOD FLOW FROM YOUR SEA WATER OUTLET AND YOUR STRAINER IS CLEAR!
you can get a HPS error for various reasons, including low freon and freezing of the coil caused by high humidity. First, let the AC thaw completely. Then crank it up for AC and see how it works. If seems OK, go to your operators manual and look for a section where you can program the control to go to defrost for s specified period ever few minutes. Change this setting (default is no defrost) so that it goes to defrost every so often (sorry, I don't remember the available settings). Then run the AC and see how it's doing. If it freezes again (gets the error) call the ac guy.
I used to leave my boat at dock with ac on to keep the humidity down and needed to use the defrost cycle to keep it from freezing.
Hope this helps.

pablor

Reaction score
The stream of water ocming out of the boat seems strong and I checked the filter and it seemed clean so I am assuming the same. I will try your suggestions. I am suspecting low freon since the boat sat for 2 years with no use whatsoever. I will call an A/C guy...

Trident

Reaction score
Often the HPS fault code is caused by the condenser freezing up or one of the ducts being blocked.

Not sure of the year of your unit, but the newer units have an "HUI" humidity setting which turns the unit on once an hour or so and lowers the cabin temp by a few degrees. If you are leaving the boat, this is the recommended setting because it keeps the cabin dry by removing excess humidity but since the unit is not running constantly, it does not freeze up or cause strain on the equipment.

-Ed-

pablor

Reaction score
Trident

thanks, yes I do use the humidity setting and it works great without errors even though the air coming out does not feel cold at all. I think I have a freon problem...

Fishermanbb

Reaction score
Do you have the A/C pump on?....Not the A/C fuse...But the Pump....You may be thinking it is only for the chill boxes but it is not...it needs to be on for the A/C as well....It is either the first or second switch on the upper right side of the power box. One is for the fish box cooler, the other is for the pump. It has to be on for the A/C to work or you will get that message.......

pablor

Reaction score
Yep, pump is working and correctly pumping every time the A/C is on (even in the humidifier cycle)

Thanks

Fishermanbb

Reaction score
Pablor,

Not to belabor the point but I'm not talking about the A/C pump per se....If the "Air Conditioner" fuse is on in the fuse panel the A/C will cycle and pump water just fine .....But, It will display the HP message and not get cold......... You also need the fuse labeled "Air Cooler Pump"...They BOTH need to be on for either the A/C or cooler boxes to work properly....OF course, you may also have a problem with the cooler pump.....Just wanted to make sure you realized they were separate pumps but worked together....

pablor

Reaction score
Thanks Fisher...

Yeah, I know you have to turn on both. Fish and Port coolers work just fine. Actually I stored a bunch of stuff for my trip in the Fishbox cooler and all ended up frozen stiff. It is just the A/C that does not work...

Banana River View

Reaction score
Fishermanbb wrote; You also need the fuse labeled "Air Cooler Pump"...They BOTH need to be on for either the A/C or cooler boxes to work properly..

The fish boxes do not require the water to be on to work. They will work more effeciently or cool down faster but do not need water cooling. I keep my 360 on a lift and when I am am going fishing I load the ice in the fish box the night before and turn on the fish boxes while boat is out of water. Everthing works fine... BRV

Fishermanbb

Reaction score
BRV...I meant that for the A/C...That you need both the A/C fuse and the air cooler pump fuse on to run the A/C...You don't need the A/C fuse on for the boxes....The A/C fuse is what operates the water pump for the A/C...Sorry for the confusion....sometimes I type faster than I think...

pablor

Reaction score
OK Guys, I just spoke to the CruisAir rep. The only way to get the HPF error is overheating caused by poor water flow (or no water flow obviously). He said to try the following:

1. Turn off coolers and run A/C and make sure water is flowing. BTW, coolers by itself do need water to run through. It may not get hot enough to stop the A/C compressor from running, but exchange cold->heat is required since freon is being compressed. If water is not running, then there is a possible blockage of A/C lines (2007 and above have 1 inlet but 2 outlets for A/C, one for air conditioning and the other for coolers). Need to check the manifolds to see how many outlets you have at the water pump. There could also be a problem with the water pump turn on switch from the compressor (a $30 part)

2. If there is water flowing, then they are partially blocked by marine growth. First flush with garden hose and adapter, second flush by hydroshocking and third by chemical flush. They taught me how to hydroshock the system. I will post details later.

There is no other problems that could cause this symptom. Low freon would not cause this problem. Hope this helps

Pablo